1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cortez, Colorado

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by KUjhawk02, Sep 11, 2006.

1. KUjhawk02

KUjhawk02 Member

Anybody have any insights about this opening?

From jjobs.com
    Company: Cortez Journal
    Position:
    Sports Editor Needed
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    October 16, 2006
    Job ID: 668042
    Description:
    The Cortez Journal seeks a sports editor to cover high school and recreational sports. The Journal is a family-owned 3x/week, 7,000-circulation community newspaper. Our sports editor must be able to cover boys’ and girls’ sports for four high schools, along with other recreational activities. Frequent and positive reader interaction is a must. The successful applicant will have a degree in journalism or related field and experience covering sports. Familiarity with Macs, NewsEditPro and Quark is a plus.

Southwestern Colorado, where Cortez is located, ranges from high desert country to San Juan Mountain peaks rising more than 14,000 feet. Residents here enjoy hiking, mountain biking, four-wheeling, camping, fly fishing, hunting, skiing, kayaking, river rafting and other activities. Mesa Verde National Park is next door, and southern Utah’s canyon country is a short drive away.

The Journal offers a full benefit package, including medical/dental/vision and life insurance, rec center membership, paid time off and 401k plan with a generous company match. We work in a spacious new building close to the new city rec center. The award-winning newsroom staff is congenial and informal. The Cortez Journal is a drug-free workplace and an equal-opportunity employer.

E-mail a cover letter, resume, clips and references to jobapps@cortezjournal.com, or send them to Human Resources, P.O. Box J, Cortez CO 81321.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I don't know anything about the job, but I have been going to that area for 30-some years. There's not much down there, and it's remote, but you are close to the mountains, 45 minutes from Durango, 75 from Telluride and Moab. TONS of outdoors stuff to do. The paper has a new plant that looks pretty nice from the outside. They still only publish three days a week and is owned by the same folks who own the Durango Herald.

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

The words "private owned" should be a huge red flag.

I've worked at two private-owned papers, and they tend to be cheap, cheap, cheap. What's worse, if you have a family, you'll pay more for health insurance than you do rent.

Trust me. Stay away from family-owned papers if you value your sanity.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Crippler, you're advocating working for the big chains, then?

Privately owned is as good or bad as the owner is. See Santa Barbara.

A business operator who was interested in long-term success would sacrifice a little on the near future returns (i.e. pay his employees 8 percent more than the "average") to avoid churn, keep quality people around a while and develop some form of institutional knowledge. It seems to happen in every other industry but journalism.

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Cortez is a small place anyway. It's gonna be cheap wages.

6. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I'm just sayin' private owners can't afford the benefits that chains can.

Health insurance should be as big a factor in job hunting as your hourly wage. And the private papers I worked for cost me $620 a month for a family of four. That's a huge chunk of change for insurance.

At the small corporation I'm at now, health insurance is $222 a month.

Big difference.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Private firms still can give you good rates if they're smart enough to go in a health-insurance co-op.

Yes, health insurance rates are a big factor in choosing jobs. This gig pays less than my last one, but the difference in salary is more than balanced out by cheaper and far more comprehensive health insurance.

Draft saved Draft deleted