1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cortez (CO) Sports Editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by koolbreeze, Apr 14, 2008.

1. koolbreeze

koolbreeze Member

From JournalismJobs.com:

The Cortez Journal seeks a sports editor to cover high school and rec-league sports, outdoor recreation, rodeos and other Southwest Colorado sports-related activities. The Journal is a family-owned 3x/week, 7,000-circulation community newspaper. The publication received top awards for general excellence this year from the Assoicated Press and Colorado Press Association. The Journal is preparing to launch a redesigned Web site and publish a Monday-through-Saturday online edition. The sports editor must be able to meet daily deadlines and should have a desire to work with online content that ranges from athletic events to special sections. Frequent and positive reader interaction is a must. The successful applicant will have a degree in journalism or related field and a proven ability to cover sports. Southwest Colorado, where Cortez is located, ranges from high desert country to San Juan Mountains peaks rising more than 14,000 feet. Residents here enjoy hiking, mountain biking, four-wheeling, camping, fly fishing, hunting, skiing, kayaking, river rafting and other activities. Mesa Verde National Park is next door, and southern Utah's canyon country is a short drive away. The Journal offers a full benefit package, including medical/dental/vision and life insurance, recreation center membership, paid time off and 401k plan with a generous company match. We work in a spacious building close to the city recreation center. The newsroom staff is congenial and informal. The Journal is an equal-opportunity employer. The publication offers a drug-free wrokplace, and drug screening is mandatory for new employees. E-mail a cover letter, resume, clips and references to jobapps@cortezjournal.com, or send them to Human Resources, P.O. Box J, COrtez, CO 81321.

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

There's a decent Italian restaurant in Cortez and a German place a little up the road (I think it's in Dolores.))

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Aren't they an offshoot of the daily Durango paper? I'd be interested to see how they share content.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The Durango paper owns the Cortez paper and few other small ones down in that area.

I know the area extremely well and have been going to Cortez/Durango for a few decades (grandparents retired there, still have lots of family down there), so PM with questions.

And, yes, the good German restaurant is in Dolores, but I think it's closed.

5. outdoors

outdoors Member

The town and the paper aren't very appealing. I remember checking into this job a few years ago and the ME is pretty much a micro-manager. Last SE was there for about 9 months. It also has quite the drugs running through the town, as it is pretty run down and you are out in the middle of nowhere. Towac is nearby for gambling, however...

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Any idea on the pay?

7. outdoors

outdoors Member

Salary was around $26-27,000 when I talked with ME Russell Smyth last year when the position was open nine months ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted