1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Corsicana (Texas) Daily Sun needs sportswriter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by pressboxramblings07, Jan 7, 2008.

1. From apse.dallasnews.com:

The Corsicana Daily Sun, a 5,500, seven-day-a-week daily one hour south of Dallas, has an immediate opening for a sports writer.

Quark experience necessary and some photography is required. Coverage area includes 10 high schools and Navarro College.

Submit resume, references, page examples and writing clips to:

Raymond Linex II
    Publisher
    Corsicana Daily Sun
    P.O. Box 622
    Corsicana, TX 75151

You may also apply via e-mail to:
    rlinex@corsicanadailysun.com.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I'm about an hour and a half away from Corsicana. Don't know too much about the paper itself, but can help with the area. If you have any questions you can PM me.

You're not too far from Dallas or Waco, and about a two hour drive from Austin. Navarro is a solid junior college with good football and baseball teams, and a decent basketball team. Corsicana High is a 4A school that has a good football history and has good athletes every year, usually.

2. redsox99

redsox99 Member

cnhi paper ... nuff said

3. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

As a guy that started out at a smaller paper than Corsicana's I would say there are worse places to get a first gig out of school. Being close to a major city is a nice perk too, I can tell you that from experience.

4. cubman

cubman Member

Living near a Brahm's isn't bad either. The one in Corsicana isn't the cleanest one I've ever been to, but the strawberry shortcake helps make up for it.

5. dargan

dargan Active Member

Don't forget the Collin Street Bakery

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

7. redsox99

redsox99 Member

If you're going to mention Corsicana dining establishments, don't include the chains. For the best cheese enchilladas anywhere on earth, Old Mexican Inn out on 7th. For the best home-cooked breakfast and lunch, Roy's Cafe on Beaton downtown. And even though cnhi is a terrible company to work for, Raymond Linex is good people. I worked for the Sun for almost 3 years back in the late 1980s when it was owned by Harte-Hanks. It's since been owned by 3-4 companies, the latest cnhi in 1998. They have quirky deadlines because the paper is printed 40 miles away in Palestine, so not sure how that affects coverage. They are also one of the rare afternoon M-F and morning Sat and Sun papers.

8. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

If anyone is interested in the job, PM me for details.

Draft saved Draft deleted