1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Corriendo beisbol estring numero seis (because 46 pages on No. 5 was enough ...)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Re: Corriando beisbol estring numero seis (because 46 pages on No. 5 was enough ...)

John Thomson with a nice Royals debut, going seven strong for the won at Anaheim.

Also, I talked with co-workers about this tonight, who ought to start for the AL in the All-Star Game? Haren? Beckett? Sabathia? Santana? Verlander? Those five are having damn good seasons, for sure.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Re: Corriando beisbol estring numero seis (because 46 pages on No. 5 was enough ...)

I'm not so sure it has to be ...

Pitcher A -- 9-2, 1.78 ERA, 0.90 WHIP, 89 Ks, 26 walks
    Pitcher B -- 11-1, 3.07 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, 79 Ks, 20 walks
    Pitcher C -- 11-2, 3.23 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, 108 Ks, 17 walks
    Pitcher D -- 10-5, 2.99 ERA, 1.20 WHIP, 82 Ks, 29 walks
    Pitcher E -- 9-2, 2.78 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, 85 K, 34 walks
    Pitcher F -- 8-6, 2.83 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, 114 Ks, 27 walks

... It's certainly not THAT clear cut as who ought to start the All-Star Game. Can't make a bad decision, though.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

What about the NL starter?

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It's between Peavy and Penny at this point.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'd say Verlander because Jim Leyland is making that choice, but I'd also submit that the starter has as much to do with the various teams' rotations as it does with who is perceived to be the best or most deserving guy. If Verlander starts the Sunday before the break I'd say it's unlikely he'll start the All-Star Game.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The thing with Beckett is ... when's the next blister a-risin'?

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Let's just say I know who this is:

Pitcher F -- 8-6, 2.83 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, 114 Ks, 27 walks

And it hurts my heart a little that he's 8-6 with those other numbers.

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Saw that on live TV. It initially appeared like the benches cleared for some reason, because all you saw for an instant was the umpire ripping his mask off and the Rockies batter gesturing toward the mound with the bat and yelling.

They cut to a wide shot behind the plate, and this doofus is running right at Howry. It looks like they smothered him right as he got to the mound, thankfully.

Rushing the field is stupid enough. Why you'd compound that by going after somebody on it is beyond me, and not just because its a felony. Odds are you'd get your ass whooped by not one, but 25 world-class athletes with metal studs on their feet.

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

He should have charged at Derrek Lee. At least then he would stand a chance.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Pitcher A -- They all have great numbers, but an ERA a full run lower than the next guy on the list is too good to ignore.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Careful, you might spin this thread into an ERA-jack. ;)

12. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I would take pitcher A, even though the ERA is nice, the WHIP is spectacular.

In other news, the Phillies begin a three game set with the Reds. Let's see how many they can lose to them before throwing that scrub at the Mets.

Draft saved Draft deleted