1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Corrections of the year

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Dec 12, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

<a href="http://www.regrettheerror.com/regret-articles/crunks-07-the-year-in-media-errors-and-corrections">
    According to the Regret the Error Web site, here are the top two of the year:</a>

There are lots of other gems in the link.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I don't know OD, the runner up is special too.

3. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

What's your correction of the year? If anyone feels like sharing. What's the worst f-up you've made all year?

Those ones in the link are pretty funny. Makes me feel less bad about making some mistakes if I know the big boys do it too. Doesn't make it any less wrong of course.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

We had a couple of times this past year when newsside had to run corrections for corrections.
    And there was another time they spelled the name of a company wrong, did the correction, and the next time they wrote about it, they spelled it wrong again.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Beloved c*nt

6. td truckers

td truckers Member

This was a high school sports program, but nonetheless it's a GEM...

It was a brief bio of the head basketball coach underneath his mug shot, and when talking about the family it said "He and his wife, somebody, reside in...."

He is a new 23-year old head coach and they didn't know his wife's name yet and left that space blank for her...but never went back and found out her name!!!

He and his wife, SOMEBODY...made it to print in every program!

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Not from this year, but no faux pas in print will ever top the "some fucker" photo cutline. I can't find it online, but there's this newspaper clipping of a basketball team photo, and the cutline lists the players' names -- you know, one of those, "Pictured (from left to right)" deals.

It IDs the players as Joe Blow, Jim Bob Rottencrotch, some fucker, Stevie Blueballs...

Oops.

8. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

Man my worst one was switching two kids. I don't know how I did it but I listed some injured wide receiver as the starting running back in a gamer.
    I ran a correction because the kids mom brought my attention to it. But she did it in such a nice way. I've done way less and been killed way worse by parents.
    She was super nice and polite. It was weird.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I used to have a pddf of that page, but lost the email. One of the more tragic name mixups I saw was at a weekly paper, where the sports editor's column one week was all about how this kid was the star of the football game the week before, what a great kid he is, etc. Unfortunately, he kept calling the kid by his brother's first name. And that brother had died in a car accident three months before.

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

We had a guy once write a high school baseball preview. He said that the team would be without so-and-so, who had a season-ending injury. Couple days later, he writes a correction saying the guy didn't suffer a season-ending "injury" as originally reported. He was dead! Got in a car accident the previous summer. Needless to say, our SE at the time said there was no way we were running that. We'd look like even bigger idiots.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

So you're saying the story should have said it was a "career-ending" injury instead?

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The polite ones always make you feel worse. The angry, belligerent parents should take note.

Draft saved Draft deleted