1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Correction of the Year: Features Division

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt1735, Jan 30, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

No one ever will.

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

You've got to know your audience ;)

3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

That's just what I was thinking. About six months went by between the writing and publishing?

I refused to quit doing stories on people who were turning 100 when I went to one guy's house and he soiled himself while we were talking and no one was around to check on him. I flt really bad for the guy, and myself.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Our paper ran an item about a resident's 100th birthday party last year and he died the day the item ran and it was in a section that hit the press in advance.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

How do you refuse to quit doing something? Your boss said "Quit doing it!" and you write it anyway?

6. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Nope. Came back and said there is no way I'm doing another one of these and told her what happened. I never did another one. But we didn't do them a lot anyway, so it wasn't a huge deal. Now if I was ordered to do so, I wouldn't get fired over the issue.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If it's a day or two between death and publication and the story is printed in advance, it's understandable. Just sucky luck. An explanation in the clarifications section would suffice.

But for this ... c'mon. A quick obit search by a writer or editor would have prevented this.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's a great point. We need to connect with younger readers. Next time send the intern out to do a story on 16-year-olds who have been married for 67 years.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

But they try just as hard as the 18-year-olds!

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Ah, OK. So you refused to DO them, not refused to QUIT doing them.

I was confused.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wish I could quit you, ancient, incontinent guy!

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I thought, for a second, that the dog had died.

Draft saved Draft deleted