1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Correction forms

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by housejd, Jul 28, 2008.

1. housejd

housejd Member

I've heard of newspapers using these as protocol when corrections are needed, but I've never seen one. We're looking to implement something like a correction form at our college shop to increase accountability and add some protocol for the process of correcting mistakes.

Does anyone have an example of one they could share with me so I'm not going in it blind when I make up the form? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

You can pretty much make your own. Adapting it over time isn't a problem.

Just do something basic, i.e.:

Story tag:
    Subject:
    Run date:
    Reporter:
    Description of error:
    Action taken:
    How error was discovered:

I think the last one is key, for two reasons. First, it can tell you some serious background info on who is looking at your paper (and saves any potential polling $$$) if it comes from the outside. Second, it may help you determine if your reporter-copy editor-section editor-EIC chain is being efficient and/or sloppy; therefore, you can make any necessary changes.

Just a few thoughts.

Good luck with it.

3. I liked the forms at one of my former employers that had a last line of ``What will you do to make sure this doesn't happen again?''

I once wrote something snarky like ``I will rededicate myself to journalism and to all its basic laws'' and, um, that didn't go over so well.

But my point was that it was a stupid thing to have in there. I mean, we all know what we're supposed to do. Double check facts, etc. And we all screw up from time to time. Don't treat us like we're second graders.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

They could give a fuck about quality. That's been demonstrated across the industry in glorious screaming Technicolor. All that line on the form is for is to have another club to hold over people's heads.

5. dargan

dargan Active Member

Yeah, just looked. We've got the "How can this error be avoided in the future" line at the bottom of our 13-item correction form.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I would add URL to where the story lives online so it can be corrected there. Handy info to have when making a correction.

7. dargan

dargan Active Member

We've got a Yes/No thing that asks if the online versions have been corrected.

8. John Newsom

John Newsom Member

Our paper has something similar, along with a "what will you do different next time" field. Part of the fun (/sarcasm) of being a manager was finding the person at fault and getting said person to fill out the form.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I never minded the form with the exception of that last f-----g question. It was like a parent scolding a 4-year-old: "Did you learn your lesson?"

I always wanted to answer by writing, "I'll spend 50 percent more time editing and proofing all the stories I work on. Please be prepared to start the presses at 3 a.m. instead of midnight."

10. bp6316

bp6316 Member

A guy at one of my former places always signed off on the last question with: "I will strive to be practically perfect in every way." Never failed to get everyone smiling (especially if you knew him well).

Also had a high school writer put on there once: "I'll stop trusting that coaches ever know what they're talking about, because clearly they don't and now it goes on my record, not his."

Draft saved Draft deleted