1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Corporations and the First Amendment

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Jan 21, 2010.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

If you have the time read Justice Stevens dissenting opinion.

Some highlights...

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Corporations predate our country. But the issue of them, and what resulted in the rise of the American business corporation was precipitated by a Supreme Court decision in 1819 (Trustees of Dartmouth College v. Woodward), which among other things labeled corporations an "artificial person," giving them rights.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The Court has already determined in previous cases that the First Amendment applies to corporations. There is also a previous decision that the court can't suppress political speech based on corporate identity.

So you would have to successfully argue that in this case, campaign advertising is somehow insulated from the full scope of the First Amendment.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

So, does that mean we'll someday have the Tostitos Joe Blow For President Fiesta Bowl?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Define -- "getting involved in the process"

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

And just to tiptoe around the political aspect of this:

It seems corporate sponsorship of a candidate could really backfire....what would it reveal about a candidate whose ads said 'Paid for by Allstate Insurance'....?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The corporations won't be Allstate or Tostitos. It will be a group of folks who form a corporation to support someone or tarnish someone else -- just like they do now.

8. The Big Ragu

That you're in good hands with that candidate in charge?

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Which is probably one of the reasons the court voted to allow advertising: people still have to make their own decisions -- just like they do now.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'll support the Poulan Weedeater candidate!!!

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm just waiting for the day that someone who is arrested for prostitution solicitation appeals that the laws block their First Amendment right to free speech.

To me, it's the George Carlin logic. Giving money equals speech. Having sex isn't against the law. So why is giving money to have sex is against the law?

12. The Big Ragu

Same reason giving money to have your wife killed is against the law?

It's not about the money. It's about the act the money is paying for (and I don't think prostitution should be legal, but that thinking isn't logical to me).

Draft saved Draft deleted