1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Corporate Rates: How Do You Get One?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, May 29, 2007.

1. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

After you place a bid you know within a minute or so if it's been accepted. It's rather quick.

I used Priceline for a hotel stay Sunday night in the suburban Chicago area.. got a Country Inn and Suites for $34+tax. It was rather nice, especially for the price.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So if I put in a bid for a 2 1/2 star hotel and there isn't one available, do they reject it or go up to a 3-star?
    And what would be a good bid for a 2 1/2 star, usually in the 100-120 buck a night range?

3. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

If you put in a bid for a 2.5 star it automatically includes anything higher than that in the zone you are bidding for.

And it's hard to say what a good bid for a 2.5 star would be... you'd need to check biddingfortravel.com to see what other people have bid in that specific area.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Have to think about this... the three-stars in the general area I want arent in the specific area i want.

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Well, I used priceline.

I just got the Sheraton in Santa Monica for $150 a night, arriving Thursday and leaving Tuesday morning (five nights, over the weekend).

Good? Bad? Otherwise?

Seems like a hell of a deal to me, but what the hell do I know?

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I've used priceline, including getting my parents a room in the Sheraton here in my town for like $40 a night. However, they were given the shittiest room...it smelled and it was next to the laundry room with lots of noise. They asked to move, and the room they got had a hole in the wall instead of an a/c unit. When they called to be switched again, they were finally given an actual room.

So know the people placing you in a room will know how much you're paying. You're going to get the last pick of rooms.

7. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I immediately called the hotel after booking and the guy on the phone said I "did the right thing by calling." He then noted "please upgrade room" on my account.

I'm a tall guy and need a king bed, that was my reason for calling. I also asked for a view. That he said he'd "try to accomodate."

8. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I've never had a bad experience with Priceline. Got a room at The Skydome last year for $70 and got one for next week across the street from Maple Leaf Gardens for $65. Stayed on Bourbon Street once for $50 and on Pennsylvania Ave. for $70.

9. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Just got the Westin downtown San Diego to complete my booking for the week.

It cost me $150 a night, too. But it's rated four stars on priceline.com.

However, when I called to ensure I get a king bed, the receptionist was a MEGA-BIATCH. And said something like "well, I can't even begin to gaurantee that. That's why we prefer you book online with us or on the phone with us."

I felt like saying, "I prefer to not pay $300 for a room!"

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Priceline is GREAT for hotels. Always get a great deal. Staying in a very nice hotel this weekend with my g/f and it's only costing $71 a night.
    But Priceline sucks for flights and rental cars. I haven't been able to get a good deal on either of those for years. But back in the day, I used priceline all the time for air travel. But that was like when it first started. I'd end up saving like $150 a flight. Those were the days.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I used priceline to rent a car for my mom a month or two ago. It was fine. Flights, I never trust because I like knowing flight times before I sign up.

12. As for corporate rates, the Marriott Athletic VIP card I got from the FWAA has been worth about 10x the FWAA's annual dues for the past two years. If you cover college football, it is worth it.

Draft saved Draft deleted