1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Corporate Rates: How Do You Get One?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, May 29, 2007.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I've been calling hotels and checking online, it seems this day and age all the hotels and their respective sites ask for "Corporate Rate ID Codes" or something of the sort.

Does anyone out there have any tricks to getting cheap hotel rates?

2. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

1) Check out what people are bidding for rooms by going to biddingfortravel.com or betterbidding.com

2) Go to priceline.com and place your bid

3) Pray

3. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Has anyone used Pricline's "name your price?"

Man, it seems scary. Your card is automatically charged. What if you get some shithole dive?

4. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

I use it all the time.. as long as you are cautious and savvy about bidding... using the web sites I provided.. you will be fine. Biddingfortravel.com even keeps a running list of the hotels by star rating and zone so you have an idea of what you might get.

I have never once gotten a "shithole dive" and in fact usually end up staying at far nicer properties for less money than I would have paid otherwise.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

A lot of them give a discounted rate for AAA membership, and I've never once showed my card.

6. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

Priceline is great. Do your research on the aforementioned sites and you can get some awesome deals. I stayed at the Hyatt in downtown Dallas recently for $65.

If you want to go even cheaper you can get some completely respectable places for $40 bucks or so.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Use Priceline all the time, too. Gotten some sweet-ass 3-star hotel rooms for $50/night, in several different cities. I highly, highly recommend.

8. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

So, just so I'm clear, I pick area, the "star level" and then name my price and that's it?

What if I don't like the exact location or the hotel? Can I cancel?

It almost seems too good to be true.

(God, I'm such a newbie)

9. I've always been afraid to do the priceline thingy. Sounds like I'm wrong -- again.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Therein lies the rub. You can't cancel, unless you want to eat the cost. That's the point of charging you automatically if your bid is good.

They will let you select a general vicinity of the city you want to stay in. Like, for instance, I recently booked a room in Phoenix. Before I made my bid, I could put a check mark in up to 8-10 different areas of the city if I wanted them to search for rooms there. So I could check, for instance, the airport/downtown, the north-center of the city, Scottsdale (northeast), Peoria/Glendale (northwest), Chandler (southeast), etc. If you really don't want to stay in Peoria/Glendale, then you don't put a check by it and it won't look for rooms there.

But say you bid $50 for a 3-star hotel and get it, you're going to get a kick-ass room for the price of a stay at Days Inn. If you're that picky about the exact location or brand name of the hotel, then just use Kayak.com or Expedia or Orbitz or any of the other million discount travel sites on the Web.

But if you want to try for a super-cheap room at a good 3- or 4-star hotel, it's gold.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Before going through expedia, travelocity, etc. be sure to check the hotel's website too. I stayed at a Doubletree in suburban Chicago a few weeks ago for $70 instead of $80 because I checked the Hilton Hotel website.

12. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

How long do the bids stay "active?"

As in, if I bid, how soon do I know a hotel accepts my offer?

Draft saved Draft deleted