1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Corporate bigwigs coming to my paper tomorrow

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jay Sherman, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

gawddam jay. sorry to hear it. fuck this business.

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

That sucks.

Good luck, Jay.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Not that these will put groceries in the refrigerator, but have to add my best wishes and hopes that something comes up really soon.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

This is what the powers that be probably realize but don't care because their goal is to pare the staffs to save money. They have made it impossible for good people like this person to do their job well. They have sapped the energy out of most. I mean even if you want to do a great job, there are handicaps like the mileage issue he talked about.
    All I can tell you is pretend you are your own editor. Work for yourself and your own pride. Dominate the beat because YOU want to. And if it gets to where it's not worth it, put all that energy into finding a new job or plan a new career path while you still are getting paid (sort of) at this job.
    This is another post of why I fell the business is a joke and doomed. Flame away on me again if you wish.

And also good luck to you Jay. Did those two corporate suits act like the guys in Office Space or were they looking at you with the side evil eye wondering if they needed to call security or if you'd go quietly?
    Sorry. Take care.

5. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

I can remember a friend whose newspaper CEO said just six months ago to not believe for one second that newspapers aren't profitable, in some spiel to the hacks. They're also scratching their heads wondering why newspapers aren't relevant. Plenty of sources for national news and sports? So cut local copy.

The day I see a publisher as part of any cutbacks is the day I know this isn't a fraud being perpetrated on a good industry.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that. I know you at least suspected something was coming, but I know first hand that doesn't make it any easier.

Remember to contact your local unemployment office and file for unemployment on Jan. 20. If your state is anything like Maryland, you'll be required to answer some questions either online or over the phone and you'll be expected to make a certain number of job contacts per week.

Also, I'd recommend looking to see if your state has one-stop career centers. They have computers where you can log on to check for jobs posted there by employers. They also have resources including workshops on writing a resume, looking for federal jobs, interview skills, and others. I just finished a workshop on Microsoft Excel today, in fact. They have career counselors there as well who can help you by providing you the tools you need to find another job.

Regardless, I wish you the best of luck as you search for another position.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Damn, Jay. I'll add my condolences to the long list already. As SF said, it won't fix anything, but you've got a lot of support for anything you might need.

Draft saved Draft deleted