1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Corporal punishment

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 29, 2011.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Then do better.

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

"Corporal punishment for school kids" is an entirely different entity than potential corporal punishment in the prison system.
    We are discussing the idea of spanking school kids who insist on acting out during the school day and/or disrupting classrooms.
    It is not, BTW, spanking kids who don't do homework.

That measure would be dealt with by failing the student and/or holding them back (regardless of what parents want to happen when their kids don't or can't do the required work).

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You probably have the lowest IQ of anyone on this board. And you think you have the highest one.

It's quite entertaining.

Do you realize that your shit adds nothing to this place? Absolutely nothing. You're dead weight here, if that. You need to reassess everything about your posting philosophy. Maybe even start anew with a new username. That would be your best bet.

4. outofplace

Pure tragic comedy.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like oop, fine, Dick.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

All I was trying to say is that it is interesting that in one context we think corporal punishment works, and in the other, we would never even think that it works at all. Obviously the psychology of adults and children are different, but I thought it was a decent discussion point.

Sorry for ever fucking bringing it up.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Don't sweat it, Dick.
    People on this board (a good number of them anyway) do far less discussing of topics than they do of seeking opportunities to ridicule fellow posters.
    Whether we here agree or disagree with corporal punishment is not going to affect whether it's ever adopted or spurned by the nation's various school districts.
    We should at least be able to accept everyone's opinions.

8. outofplace

If all I had done on this thread was take cheap shots, that would be a fair point. But I didn't, so it's not.

I was discussing the point -- you don't discipline a child the way you would discipline an adult. He just doesn't like the way I made my argument.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

its just opinions.
    why do we attack so often instead of just moving forward with our own new points?

10. outofplace

I was responding tto the question. As far as attacks go, well, perhaps you should re-read the exchange.

11. Because we were spanked too often as children? :D

OK, sorry for the smart-assery, but things are getting WAAAAAY too serious in here. :D

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

A teacher or principal in Ontario who laid a hand on a student would be justifiably fired with cause and charged with assault. The fact that it's allowed in some jurisdictions in the US is astonishing.

The poster who advocated corporal punishment in prisons is living somewhere in the 1800's

Draft saved Draft deleted