1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Corporal punishment

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

"You mean I had a choice?!" *forehead slap* "NOW you tell me!!"

[​IMG]

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Teachers and administrators who have to resort to corporal punishment do so because they don't know what they're doing. There are ways to create consequences for bad behavior and manage a classroom without resorting to violence. We don't want our kids bullied by other kids; why would we want teachers to bully kids?

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

When done correctly? As sexual play between two consenting adults? That I'd agree with. Not sure the correct way to hit a kid.

And I know we've had this debate on here 456 times - we're still early in this one so no one has yet said "if you don't have kids you don't understand why we'd want to beat their ass " - and no one's mind ever gets changed either way, but...what's the minimum age when it's okay to spank? And the maximum when they're too old? If spanking's good for a 3-year-old, why not a 2-year-old? If it's good for a 10-year-old why not a 12-year-old? Or are there no age limits either way?

And I'm not sure I buy the argument that the American education system would be so much better off if we just had daily paddlings (insert requisite Simpsons clip), especially when study after study shows that kids who are spanked are more likely to be violent later on in life. Which seems like an obvious outcome, even without the studies. When you spank, you're telling the kid physical violence is the solution (or the kid is supposed to read your mind and understand that this particular blow was not done in "anger"?). Why wouldn't they follow that example?

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1983895,00.html

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Well, I have three kids, and I certainly think it's OK to want to dish out a little violence ...

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

A lot of generalizations being made on this topic. None of them make the poster look like they know what the hell they're talking about.

6. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

No references to Dazed and Confused yet? I weep for the future of this board. It was better when they allowed paddling.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Let me be perfectly clear ... I was joking about the "wanting" to commit violence thing. I am not a proponent of corporal punishment.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Stuff like that was long over by the time I got to high school. The priest got too old to box.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Corporal punishment was around when I was in elementary school, but almost never used. I can only think of one time, in third grade, where this one kid acted up and the principal whacked in with a pointer.

And I sure as heck wouldn't want a school spanking my kids. My oldest has Asperger's. Because of the school's continual incompetence, for multiple reasons that I won't go into here, his year in first grade was an absolute nightmare for everyone involved. I'd hate to see how worse it would have been if the school would have had the right to spank him.

I have spanked my kids, but not recently. Mostly it was to scare them out of doing something that could have harmed themselves. For instance, when they were little, the oldest would run outside and run in the street. First couple of times he did that. I whaled his butt. He stopped doing it.

My grandmother had a saying. "Better you should cry, than I should cry," meaning, better the kid should cry from the spanking, than she should cry because something tragic happened. My grandmother only hit me once, and it shocked the hell out of me more than hurting. I was looking out her apartment window (five stories up), and she thought I was leaning too far, even though I didn't think so.. She pulled me back and whacked me.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly. Those are two excellent examples of the kind of situations the crowd who think nobody should ever spank a kid just doesn't understand.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Funny how it often (not always) is the people without children who are insistant that there is never a good reason to spank a child. I'm sorry, but if you aren't a parent, there are things about it that you don't understand. Cue the non-parents screaming about that one.

One of thing you may not get is that no decent parent WANTS to hit their child. Do they piss us off sometimes. Hell yes. But actually wanting to hurt my child? The very though sickens me.

That particular study you quoted had many problems with it. For starters, they stopped looking at behavior by age five. Not what I would call a long-term impact.

They offered a lot of theory as fact. Do they really know that corporal punishment fails to create understanding? No, they don't. Maybe the little 3-year-old does understand that if running into the street leads to a spank that it is a bad thing to do.

They did not offer any detail into the type of corporal punishment used. Was it constant spanking for every-day misbehavior? Something used only for the most extreme behavior? Something only done if the child does something to endanger himself or herself?

Maybe there are better studies out there, but I wish you good luck reducing parenting to a science. Really, have one of your own and see how well that works. Here's a hint. It doesn't.

And I say this as a parent who does not use corporal punishment.

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Ridiculous.

Draft saved Draft deleted