1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coronation Street

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cansportschick, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Am I the only one that watches Coronation Street??? Is there anyone in SJ land that actually watches it, particularly any Canuckistans???

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Used to watch it quite often in the Motherland.

3. Cansportschick

I just want to say that the writing these days is so good. The last couple of weeks of the show have been the best I have ever seen. All the different storylines came to a head and intertwined nicely when the "mishap" occurred. I am so interested to see if anybody else watches the show and agrees with me on this.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

My sister is a fan. Otherwise, I don't know anybody who watches it.

Is it even on US television?

5. Cansportschick

JR, I don't think you can get it in the US but some people can watch it online. I know a couple of Corrie fans that live in the States and they actually go to the CBC website to watch the episodes.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Mrs. Huggy has been a long-time fan. She records the 2 1/2-hour block on CBC every Sunday morning but it can take her a while to get through those. She is way behind and is always avoiding spoilers.

My old man was a hardcore fan too but I don't think I have seen an episode since the days when Jim MacDonald wore a Blue Jays sweatshirt all the time. Is Les Battersbea still on there? Loved that guy.

7. Cansportschick

Huggy, sadly Les is gone...I loved him too. But Chesney's still around. They now have Corrie on every evening for a one hour block (as of early Sept) because I think CBC was too far back in terms of episodes being aired as opposed to England. I believe England was airing new episodes 4 months ahead of CBC. And by the time CBC would air the episodes, spoilers were already out via fans in England. I am gathering CBC must have heard from disgruntled fans about this and that is why they show 10 episodes a week, instead of 5.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've always been fascinated by the ratings Corrie was getting in Britain ... 10 million+ viewers an episode. In a country that size, that's like a Super Bowl every night. Although I understand the ratings have been dropping since May.

9. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

I've never even heard of this show, but reading the thread title stuck The Cure's "Fascination Street" in my head.

Draft saved Draft deleted