1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Corey Pavin Shoots 26 on the Front 9 at Milwaukee

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Updated: 1 hour, 40 minutes ago
    MILWAUKEE - Corey Pavin set the PGA’s scoring record for nine holes when he shot a 26 on the front at the U.S. Bank Championship on Thursday. (Click here for live updates.)

Pavin, who was 8 under at the turn, broke the mark of four other players who had shot a 27 through the first nine holes, including Andy North and Robert Gamez, both participating in the tournament at the par-70 Brown Deer Park Golf Course.

Mike Souchak (1955), North (1975), Billy Mayfair (2001) and Gamez (2004) all equaled the mark, but Mayfair and Gamez both made the turn at 9 under.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Par 34 on the front? What sort of muni are they playing?

Is that where Tiger played his first tournament, battling the mighty Ed Fiori?

3. I believe that was the Quad-Cities Open, which has since changed its name and switched to a much-more-difficult course.

Milwaukee has historically been a bit of a pushover, but 26 on any course for nine holes iis pretty amazing.

4. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

It's only a par 70, so it's 34-36.  Not that strange.

It's interesting that of all the guys to go out in 27 before, they all came back in at at least 33.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Nice to know that Corey can still put it through that tricky windmill.

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

He's at 56 going into the par-5 18th hole.

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

A par on 18. He shot a 61 with only one birdie in the last nine after getting birdies on eight of the first nine.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

So will Doug Ferguson's lead be:

Corey Pavin pretended like he was Tiger Woods on Thursday.

9. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Tiger's first tournament was Milwaukee. Quad-Cities/Ed Fiori was where Tiger lost his first 54-hole lead and it lasted a long time.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Fergie doesn't do Milwaukee Opens.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well ... actually, he should.

12. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Billy Mayfair's 27 was on the back nine. I only know this because I covered the Buick that year, and he went off really early on Sunday. I got to the media tent, saw what he was doing, watched him birdie 17 via ShotLink and then ran out to watch him birdie 18. There were about three media people and 50 fans watching him finish.

I don't think the leaders had even teed off yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted