1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copywriter with baseball scouting experience

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by BballBenGood2Me, Mar 18, 2012.

1. BballBenGood2Me

BballBenGood2Me New Member

National magazine is merging with third-party baseball scouting service (not complete yet or I'd name them) and we're looking for two copywriters with a tick of scouting experience for part-time work as independent contractors. You'll be a part of the baseball scouting editorial team reviewing amateur and professional scouting reports and then writing short player notes for consumption. We're looking for individuals with at least five hours of availability per week. Compensation depends on experience. Send a short resume to copyscoutjob@gmail.com

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And this compensation is cold hard cash, right? Just making sure.

3. BballBenGood2Me

Absolutely!

Update for those that have responded: we'll be in touch with everyone no later than Tuesday.

4. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

OK, Bball, I sent everything in Sunday.

5. BballBenGood2Me

We've had considerably more responses than anticipated and we're working through them all. Look for a response no later than Monday the 26th.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I'll send ya something too, Ben...

7. BballBenGood2Me

That you to everyone who applied. The position has been filled with a candidate from the board.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

That you for the promised response. Oh wait. Thank didn't happen.

9. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Bball, the notice says you were looking for two. So it ended up being just one?

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If this is true, that's a dick move, Bball. How can anyone trust your company/product if you can't back up your words?

11. TooOldForThis

TooOldForThis New Member

Gotta admit I was wondering about that as well ...

A) Two positions mentioned but the post said "the position was filled." So how many positions were there, really?

B) Said everyone would be notified. I wasn't. At least one other person wasn't. How hard would it have been to send even a mass e-mail like "thanks for applying"? How many people actually DID apply?

C) Am curious, given that there were only a few days here between the "we got so many more applications/submissions than we expected" and the hiring, how much due diligence was done (references, checking copy, etc.).

Having read the previous posts, admit to a little hesitation on applying but ... as the cool kids say, "WHATever."

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Too Old for This--a perfect moniker for jumping thru hoops for a shady-sounding gig like this.

I have a suspicion about the company behind this gig, and if it's correct, it's a shitty, exploitative place to work and the shifty dealings here are par for the course. So good riddance and all that, just wish I had those 15 minutes back.

Draft saved Draft deleted