1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copyright question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pallister, Sep 26, 2008.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

How does an individual go about copyrighting material to make sure it's protected? I figure someone around here can help me.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Duh!

http://www.copyright.gov/

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Thanks, jackass. That was quite helpful.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

I realize you're having a tough night, pall.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

NO BASEBALL TALK ON THIS THREAD.

Please?

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Does that ban me from the thread because of my handle?

7. Yes it does.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Pallister--That link is really all you need, but the bottom line is, if you 'create' something in a format that can be read or sold or distributed, it's already copyrighted. Print out your work, you're done. Seriously,it's that basic.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

OK, that's what he was thinking, but if you print it out, there's not a date on it, you know?

So let's say he publishes something on his site. Someone sees it, sends it to a friend who sends it to a friend who sends it to a friend who turns it into a No. 1 song. How can pall prove that he wrote it before that guy? I mean, he could claim he wrote it years ago and it was just sitting around.

I just want to make sure he doesn't get screwed, you know?

10. a tactic some writers use is to mail themselves a copy that goes unopened, with a postmark on it. i don't know case law on it, though.

11. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

registered mail. they will postmark it along all the seals, so you prove it existed on that date. you RM it to yourself and immediately pick it up (it doesn't have to actually go in the mail -- if your local postperson says it does, they're lying or uninformed). done it many times.

Draft saved Draft deleted