1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy Question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CYowSMR, Jul 27, 2010.

1. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

So, this guy writes a story about a police dept. in a small town. The chief of police is a good ol' boy, and speaks this way.

He said, "We're not out there to be turds or to be a hassle..."

The publisher gets mad and says they should not have used the word, "turds". What is your take on the issue?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My take?

The publisher is always right.

But in general, just because somebody said something it doesn't mean it has to appear in the paper.

If the story is trying to get the sense of the small town cops, I'd certainly use it.

If it's a newsy story about your town cops cracking down on teen vandals, probably not. But it doesn't hurt to run it past someone.

3. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

I agree with you because a wise man once said, "It never gets any bigger than the man who signs your paycheck."

But with the story being a feature on reserve officers and how they help with road blocks and school functions etc. I think it was a great quote, not necessarily that part, but the gist of it is important.

4. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

In my experience I've never met a publisher who wasn't a turd.

Draft saved Draft deleted