1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editors on the Web

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MrBSquared, May 29, 2009.

1. Bob Crotchet

Bob Crotchet Member

It's not what I consider a "typo." He didn't transpose two letters. Someone -- writer or copy editor -- doesn't know the difference or didn't correct it. And yes, it is a matter of standards. It's a common homophone. It isn't a stretch to expect someone who works with words to know the difference.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Which I think was the original point. Maybe you need more copy editors to help you plow through all that with fewer mistakes, and there are plenty of them out there (copy editors, not mistakes).

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I agree with this.

The industry is losing experienced copy editors. The new ones may be working hard, as SF noted. I'm glad they are and hope the veteran editors will help them develop their skills.

But journalists should know the difference between horde and hoard, and use the correct one.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I gotta tell you, everybody: I'm supposed to be halfway decent at this, and I still make "their/there" mistakes when I'm in a hurry. I guess maybe hoard/horde should be looked at a little more carefully because it's not nearly as prevalent, but still...

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'm with SF on this, from the earlier post and the one above.

Draft saved Draft deleted