1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editors an engangered species

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ace, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

In our rush to get news up quick online, copy editing often does go out the window on our Web site. Often, I will notice that readers do catch the errors (some of which are glaring), and they follow up their prideful catch with comments like, "you guys are idiots," "can't you even spell?," and "you call yourselves a newspaper? You're a joke."

But I guess the higher-ups are happier with the page hits and getting the story out there first.
    Personally, I'd prefer maintaining some integrity and respect, but I guess that's why I don't get paid the big bucks.

2. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I love when readers make comments like that. I wish we'd sponsor a once-a-month contest to let one of them come in and work the desk one night and let them edit about 15 stories and write the headlines and photo captions, all on deadline, and then see who can't spell.

3. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I'd love it if management gave a crap about the erosion of credibility caused by this sort of thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted