1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editors an engangered species

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ace, Jan 29, 2010.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, you'd better get busy, mister....

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

THIS made me laugh.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like Bruce Springsteen music, kittens and long walks on the beach.

4. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Hate to break it to you but I got engaged in November. Oh, and there's no way in hell I'd ever have a cat. Sorry cat lovers.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

They're so endangered in fact, they couldn't even get to this thread title!

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Copy editors have to be able to design and do layout on programs like Quark and InDesign.

As we all know full well, the paper has to get out and get out on deadline and it ain't going to get done by itself. Managament could care less if there is a misplaced comma or a wrong verb tense. Honestly, they don't bleeping care. All they care about is that the darn thing gets out so the ads get printed and they make a little money.

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

True, Mark, but there will be absolutely no copy editors once we go all online.
    The readers will be the copy editors. Those who post will copy edit in an attempt to get page views.
    There will be one copy editor type I guess to post the stories and put up photos to go with the stories, but that will be about it. Maybe 1-2 posters, but no more copy editors.
    I've read articles on this topic in two different publications. Don't know who first came up with the idea, but copy editors won't be around once we go all online.

9. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Well, until the first lawsuit for wrongly convicting someone. Then they might rethink it.

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Excellent point. These new media thinktankers obviously care not about money, profits or lost revenue in massive lawsuits.
    Perhaps there will be contracts the reporters must sign that in the event of libel the reporter is financially responsible.
    I wish somebody would copy and paste your comment to all the fucking publishers in America who are salivating at going without copy editors.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Freddie,

I don't think it's like that. Management doesn't gather round a table and come up with a brilliant plan that getting rid of copy editors will make money.

They are losing money and are struggling to find ways to generate revenue so they do the only thing they can think to do -- get out the knives and start cutting people. Can they get the paper out with fewer copy editors? Sure.

Is it smart? Probably not, but it will keep the wolves off their door for another quarter.

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

It's a worldwide problem.

From: http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5i9Usmar-C6tTWruea5ilOFzn1FzQ

Draft saved Draft deleted