1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editors an engangered species

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ace, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Because when you're having trouble selling a product, dumping quality control is always the way to go.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Subject line for this post: is it meta?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Could have been more obvious, I guess.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And to think, when I first started in this businesss 15 years ago, I was encouraged to become a copy editor because reporters were considered a dime a dozen and that someone who wanted a copy editing career would go far in newspapers.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Reporters are a dime a dozen now. They're just called "Citizen Journalists" or "Bloggers."

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Now, I guess reporters are now a nickel a dozen, if you add in all the "Citizen Journalists" and "Bloggers".

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I think I mentioned this before, but check around and you'll see what I'm talking about.
    The latest thing from the Social Media Experts is copy editors aren't needed any more. The online reader will be encouraged to be the copy editors of stories. Why? This will add more page views as readers will be in power. They will be the ones catching errors and pointing them out in the reader comments section following the stories. Then it will be the reporter's responsibility to re-enter into the story online, fix it and apologize for the error and/or thank the dear reader in the comments section.

It's a way of empowering the online reader, getting page views. And it devalues the reporter even more. The social media experts are saying the reporter should not make mistakes in the first place so it is silly to hire somebody to fix the errors when online readers can do that and add page views in the process. I know a few people in management of a major chain who have shown me some emails on the matter.

You save money by getting rid of the copy editors and being able to use all fresh faced reporters out of college because poor quality writing actually will help the page view count as readers love catching errors and demeaning the reporter for his/her incompetence.

How do you copy editors feel about this? I promise you this is true. You'll be hearing about it more and more. That's why we're hearing about so many copy editors already being let go in advance of the all online product.

9. The No. 7

The No. 7 Member

That's what I was told not even five years ago. Now, I'm studying to be an accountant and preparing to leave this world behind because the future isn't looking so bright for us copy editors.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I know an SE who doesn't like copy editors. The reason being is that they always seem to fix his horrible copy.

11. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Judging by the thread title: probably not.

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

All we need to know about our profession is the elimination of copy editors. It shows us how quality matters not anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted