1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy Editor/Web Manager - Casper, WY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by WordWriter, Aug 25, 2009.

1. WordWriter

WordWriter Member

Wyoming's leading newspaper is looking for a versatile, motivated sports journalist to complete a talented staff.
    Few newspapers our size offer the growth opportunities you'll find at the Casper Star-Tribune. Our past hires are reaching their goals at larger papers in Denver, Illinois, North Carolina, Kansas and, most recently, Tennessee and Los Angeles. And still others have moved up to managerial positions.
    You will have two primary responsibilities here – paginating an award-winning section and managing our growing online sports products. We envision this person begin versatile enough to write breaking news as needed and organized enough to manage long-term projects. We’re looking for someone who works and wants to be the best.
    Our statewide circulation of just under 30,000 makes us the most prominent media voice in the Cowboy State. Our sports section and staff members have won 30 APSE awards since 1995, including five in 2008. The addition to our staff will help us build on that excellence.
    Photoshop and Quark or InDesign experience is required; HTML experience will set you apart from other candidates.
    You'll need a bachelor's degree, excellent verbal skills, a willingness to continually improve as page designer and online reporter, and strong attention to detail. Meanwhile, you'll live and play amid Wyoming's outdoor splendor. We're about a four-hour drive north of Denver.
    We offer an excellent benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, 401(k) retirement, employee stock purchase plan, paid holidays and vacation. We are an equal opportunity employer. You can see our web site at www.trib.com. Learn about our parent company at www.lee.net.
    Send, preferably by e-mail, a cover letter explaining why you're the right person for the job, along with your resume, reference list and work samples to:
    David Mayberry
    Assistant Managing Editor/City & Sports
    Casper Star-Tribune
    P.O. Box 80
    Casper, WY 82602
    david.mayberry@trib.com

No phone calls please.

2. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

This would be how they're replacing the UW beat guy who went to Tennessee. They moved staff around leaving an opening on the desk.

3. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

My understanding is they consolidated the UW beat, so the basketball guy will now cover football and basketball. Since both UW guys worked the desk in their offseason, that creates a need for a copy editor.

And glancing at their Web site, the online part of this new position is much needed, in my opinion. They aren't doing a whole lot of extra stuff there.

4. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

JJHHI, your understanding is correct.

http://tribtown.trib.com/post/ESchmoldt/blog/the_startribune_laramiestyle.html

5. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

How the heck do you find that blog unless you know where it is? No sign of it on the UW Sports page.

Congrats to Eric (and Austin), by the way.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It looks like the copy editor posting was removed and replaced with a sports writer opening.

7. azom

azom Member

Although I can no longer speak to the staffing/reorganization of duties, I did spend four years working for this paper. Feel free to PM me with questions.

8. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I also worked there, so you can also PM me.

Draft saved Draft deleted