1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor, The Salt Lake Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Michael_Anastasi, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Michael_Anastasi

Michael_Anastasi New Member

The Salt Lake Tribune, a consistent APSE Top 10 section, is seeking an experienced copy editor. The ideal candidate is a wordsmith who works well with writers and their copy, writes excellent headlines, feels comfortable designing inside pages, has website experience and can work well both independently and as a member of a collaborative team. The Tribune has a pod-based universal desk that runs the organization's website in the evening in addition to handling print production. Although this is seen primarily as a sports position, the successful candidate can expect to work regularly with news, business and features copy and should feel comfortable with those subject areas. To apply, write Michael Anastasi, Managing Editor, 90 South 400 West, Salt Lake City, Utah, 84101. Email questions to manastasi@sltrib.com.

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

If you've never been to Salt Lake City, it's one of the most beautiful cities in America. I always love going to SLC to cover UU football games.

3. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

For sure. Put all the weird stereotypes behind you and you will most definitely enjoy it. A lot of the skiing is only 30 minutes or so from downtown. So if you're a ski person and you work the evening shifts at the paper you can no doubt spend all morning on the slopes before work. Also a great place for golf, fishing, boating, hiking and all the outdoor stuff.

And yes, you can get "regular" beer there. Just have to know where to go.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Six weeks ago, I'd be all over this. Love Salt Lake.

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to live in Salt Lake. It's like how people who have never been to Denver picture Denver, just not as big. (MileHigh can likely vouch for me). You have the mountains right there.

Heck, I wrote a whole blog post on the drive back to Fort Collins when I was in SLC a few months ago about it being one of my dream places to live (especially since I'm having a love affair with snowboarding) and working for the Tribune or Desert News. If this weren't a desk job, I'd be all over it.

6. I grew up in New York and I love Salt Lake....It's really a beautiful city and there's a lot to do there

7. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

As a Salt Lake native and a former Deseret News employee, I have to say this is a fantastic job at a great location, if you're into desk work.

Salt Lake is a truly underrated city with just about everything you need. Like the others have said, the outdoor recreation is minutes away, you've got an NBA team, a Pac 12 team, and a college football independent an hour away. And I think the climate is almost perfect for people who enjoy four seasons: not incredibly hot in the summer (gets over 100 sometimes), not too cold in the winter (sure, it can get 20 or colder, but who's noticing when you have blue sky above?).

Both papers are good in this city. If I weren't in grad school, I'd be applying for this job.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I must be behind the curve on this, but, what happened six (five?) weeks ago?

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Landed a full-time gig that doesn't require relocation.

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Tempted ... it passed.

Great job for someone, just not for me right now

11. llcharlie

llcharlie Member

You have to be Mormon to get a smell there.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is not necessarily so.

Draft saved Draft deleted