1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy Editor -- The Casper (Wyo.) Star Tribune,

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, Feb 22, 2011.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Wyoming's leading newspaper is looking for a versatile, motivated sports journalist to complete a talented staff.

Few newspapers our size offer the growth opportunities you'll find at the Casper Star-Tribune. Our past hires are reaching their goals at larger papers in Denver, Illinois, North Carolina, Kansas and, most recently, Tennessee and Los Angeles. And still others have moved up to managerial positions.

You will have two primary responsibilities here – paginating an award-winning section and managing our growing online sports products. We envision this person begin versatile enough to write breaking news as needed and organized enough to manage long-term projects. We’re looking for someone who works and wants to be the best.

Our statewide circulation of just under 30,000 makes us the most prominent media voice in the Cowboy State. Our sports section and staff members have won 33 APSE awards since 1995, including three in 2009. The addition to our staff will help us build on that excellence.

Photoshop and Quark or InDesign experience is required; HTML experience will set you apart from other candidates.

You'll need a bachelor's degree, excellent verbal skills, a willingness to continually improve as page designer and online reporter, and strong attention to detail. Meanwhile, you'll live and play amid Wyoming's outdoor splendor. We're about a four-hour drive north of Denver.

We offer an excellent benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, 401(k) retirement, paid holidays and vacation. We are an equal opportunity employer. You can see our web site at www.trib.com. Learn about our parent company at www.lee.net.

Apply online at www.trib.com/workhere/

Please post links to your work as directed.

If you have trouble with the links or attachments, e-mail them to david.mayberry@trib.com.

Per: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1235127

2. WordWriter

WordWriter Member

Some details, a little update and a bump:

*This is primarily a pagination job (see the Copy Editor job title), very little writing.
    *The opening is the result of reorganizing the pagination desk and shuffling a news position to sports (sports will have two FT copy editors).
    *Talented people are already there, and this addition should make the section even better.

Recent job threads from Casper:
    http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/77872/
    http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/72566/

PM with questions.

3. azom

azom Member

I was here for a while a few years ago. PM if you have questions about the paper, the city, etc.

4. nmsports

nmsports Member

I've done a fair amount of freelance work for this paper and it's been nothing but positive. The people I've met and worked with have been professional and pleasant. And they do love their sports up in Cowboy country.

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Living in Casper sure beats Cheyenne or Laramie.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Cheyenne maybe, but certainly not Laramie.

That said, the CST is a very good paper.

7. ARR

ARR New Member

The person who gets the job would be forced to work with my sorry ass. PM with questions.

8. Always heard nothing but good things about this paper directly from people who have worked there and moved on. If I was looking to break in, I'd definitely be looking here.

9. WordWriter

WordWriter Member

Re: Copy Editor -- The Casper (Wyo.) Star Tribune

We didn't see the right person in the applicant pool and will be reposting the position in the coming days. Links and addresses will be the same, except for jjobs.

10. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

As promised: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1235127

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

You mean well and tried to soft-peddle it the best you could, but that still comes off as harsh: There's gotta be someone out there better than this, right? We'd rather not hire anyone than hire one of these losers, so please please pretty please someone good send in their resume! Which, granted, is the unspoken reason most jobs get reposted, and I think people get that, but it's still a bit jarring to see it overtly stated like that.

12. kevin52085

kevin52085 New Member

Sounds like an interesting gig. Has anyone heard back about this one?

Draft saved Draft deleted