1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy Editor, sports-USA Today...McLean, VA.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Jan 21, 2012.

1. doodah

doodah Guest

I'd be willing to work in Williston. I just applied. Doubt they'll wait until May for me to graduate though. They've probably got over 100 applications.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I bet they don't. And you shouldn't care if you really want a job.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Just make sure you spent at least 21 minutes getting your application package ready.

4. doodah

doodah Guest

Oh, I've spent hours culling it over, Stich. And it probably hasn't gotten much in terms of applications because a) the pay is allegedly hourly with no benefits and b) it's in North Dakota. It gets cold there and isn't nearly as populous as, say, my dream location of Los Angeles.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You want to get paid hourly. The job includes benefits.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I have a headache.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

By the way, Williston is just 15 minutes from Tahoe, so that's a benefit.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Just move to L.A. then, screw the degree...I hear that town can make you a star!

9. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

If someone has spent hours "culling over" a decision, copy editing is not the right career.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice...

12. Mr. Costello

Mr. Costello New Member

If you're searching, take it from a recent grad.
    I applied around quite a bit starting in February of my senior year (2011) and accepted a job in March. The next two months were gravy. I enjoyed the final stretch of my collegiate years without stress — or at least without the jobless variety — and am now eight months into my career.
    No, it's not the New York Times or anything, but guess what? The guy who got his start here before me hustled for a few years and now works at the Green Bay Press Gazette, in part covering his very own childhood favorite Green Bay Packers.
    Hustle through a small town gig for a bit, and then start getting picky.

Draft saved Draft deleted