1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor(s) needed, The Jakarta Globe (Jakarta, Indonesia)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TrooperBari, Oct 22, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Plus you'll get to work with Trooper, who's a fantastic guy.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yup. flash back a lotta years, and i'd so be checking this out.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I spent almost four years in the Far East many years ago. This sounds like an above-average opportunity to go back. Wonder if the dwellings are an easy walk or public transportation to the newsroom?

If so, it sounds really good. Wonder if Slingbox could help get some games of my teams over to Jakarta?

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm going to apply Monday. I hope others here do, too.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I thought Jamaica broke you from your taste for adventure, or did it only whet your appetite? 8)

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Oh, no, it definitely gave me more of a sense of adventure. I loved the six months in Kingston. It was my first time living and working overseas, though, so I thought six months was about right for me to come back. Strange to think I've been back 10 years now; still seems like yesterday.

I like the idea of helping another start-up of sorts. I did it in New Hampshire, and we built that paper to the best weekly in the state, twice.

I'd like to help do the same thing on the other side of the globe.

7. spud

spud Member

This is mostly false. Don't let anybody fool you, Jakarta today is a dangerous place. If you're exploring the city, you can eeeasily stumble into a neighborhood that looks innocent enough and find that you're taking your life in your own hands. Their population boom has completely outstripped the government's ability to provide for its residents, so there are far more lawless hubs in and around town than any city its size in the world.

You can avoid trouble, yes, but you really, really have to know where you're going. If you're white, that's all the broadcasting you need to draw attention to yourself, which is purely negative in a lot of places.

That's obviously not a deterrent, but don't be flippant about safety there. Take precautions.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

There are apartment blocks located a 15-20 minute walk away (or $5 cab ride) from the office. When you're staying in the hotel, you'll spend more time waiting for elevators than walking to work.

I know nothing of this 'Slingbox' apparatus, so I'm of no help there.

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

If you're ambling around, flashing your (relative) wealth and looking like a dopey bule, then yes, you are making yourself a mark. Then again, that's the same if you're walking around most major metropolitan cities. You do need to be smart, especially if you're in North Jakarta after dark, but that's no different than New York, Honolulu, Mumbai or any one of thousands of other cities.

We've got white folks here who have lived here from a few months to almost a decade. They go all around the city, and not a one has said anything about being harassed, targeted or made to feel unduly uncomfortable due to being white. We've had guys go to some of the rowdiest soccer games out there -- in the stands, not the press box -- and have no problems. I'm trying my hardest not to come out and say you're full of it, but your post doesn't jive with the experience of dozens of white people in our office.

-----------------

A couple people have told me they're having problems with Lin's e-mail address. If you're applying, please send your material to that address and to Joe, our Deputy EIC, at cochrane.joe@gmail.com -- he's the guy I dealt with when getting this gig.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

when was the last time you were in jakarta, newb?

11. seravaf

seravaf New Member

I thought this sounding interesting, too.

And then I just typed in "Jakarta" on Google Images and found this:

[​IMG]

Sounds pretty sweet. Not to mention that you're nearly 9,000 miles from the US.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

awesome. a sizzler.

Draft saved Draft deleted