1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor(s) needed, The Jakarta Globe (Jakarta, Indonesia)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TrooperBari, Oct 22, 2008.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

This is, of course, 1,000 percent correct.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Are they doing sports? News? Business? What sort of expertise are they looking for?

3. TrooperBari

"Good" is a relative term. I can't give specifics because I'm not doing the hiring. The pay won't take you straight to the penthouse, but it's better than the low-hanging fruit you'll find on J-Jobs.

If you're single and don't need your own private villa, the housing allowance will cover your rent. You can live fairly comfortably on $1,500 a month, and my guess is you'll get paid somewhere around $2,000 to $2,500 a month, depending on experience. You'll make more in one month than most Indonesians make in a year. Health insurance is covered, and you won't have to worry about buying a car or gas (you'd be insane to try driving in this city).

----------------

Mark: The more clubs you have in your bag, the better. We have copy editors who do most of their work in one particular section (news, biz, features, sports), but everyone lends a hand when there's stories to be read. If you have a preference, I'd state that in your application.

Newspaper expertise is the big thing. We want people who know how to edit stories for style, write heds and cutlines, and do everything under deadline pressure. Some of the current crop are new to copy editing, and others haven't worked in a newspaper before. We need people who can show them how things get done in a newsroom.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If you didn't have any stateside expenses (like a mortgage or child support), you could live like a king on that salary on the Indonesian economy.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'm oddly intrigued.
    But I really can't say why.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Me, too. I'd love to try this.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Me three, but I haven't yet finished my degree.

8. TrooperBari

A high school degree will do, KY.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This may be the greatest job ever advertised on this board.

They pay your rent PLUS pay you salary, and you're making 12 times what the poor schmoes in the rest of the country make?

This might be the perfect job for someone with an itch to see something new. May not be for life, but it would be a hell of an experience.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Kick ass.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I have to agree with you. If I was a few years younger and sans felines, I'd be all over it.

12. Editude

Editude Active Member

Mrs. Editude keeps saying we should travel more. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted