1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy Editor, Roanoke, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Roanoke Times is looking for a smart, creative copy editor to join its sports copy desk. The ideal candidate will have an eye for detail, strong grammar skills and the ability to write compelling headlines, photo captions and other display type. The sports desk operates under tight deadlines, so a sense of urgency and the ability to prioritize is critical. Strong candidates will be able to communicate effectively with reporters, line editors, designers and other copy editors.

Although editing daily copy is the primary responsibility for this position, copy editors may be called upon to work on advance packages, copy for other sections and online content.

Essential responsibilities

*Edit and write display type for stories and Web posts in accordance with AP style, the stylebook of The Roanoke Times, and Webster's New World Fourth Edition.

*Post breaking news online and learn the basics of our online content management system.

*Stay current on our coverage and that of the competition.

*Other duties as assigned.

Requirements

*Bachelor's degree

*Experience at a daily newspaper preferred

Must apply online at www.jobs.roanoke.com. Application deadline: Dec. 7, 2009.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I don't know crap about the paper, but this is a pretty town.

I have stayed there a few times on business, and I come away more and more impressed each time.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Spent my first 18 years in the Noke...any questions, feel free to PM.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Covered the Division III men's finals there once... came away quite impressed with the area. Paper seems pretty good too. Might go for it if they offered a regular reporter or ASE post.

5. Circus, any idea on a pay scale? Reading between the lines -- "experience at a daily newspaper preferred" -- it sounds like they want the next step above entry level.

Always thought highly of this paper, deskers and writers alike.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I've never actually worked there on any more than a part-time basis...don't know much about the pay. I'm much more useful on questions about the area. Probably should have clarified that.

It's a Landmark paper, for what it's worth.

Draft saved Draft deleted