1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy Editor, Richmond Times-Dispatch

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Media General’s Consolidated Editing Center (CEC) in Richmond, Virginia, has an opening for a versatile, deadline-oriented sports copy editor who can also design a page in a pinch.

Richmond, the capital of Virginia, is a growing region that is near the beach, the mountains and the nation's capital, and our work is growing, too. Our innovative new center has a broad footprint - with branches in Richmond and Tampa, Fla., we handle page design and editing for MG's three metro dailies: the Richmond Times-Dispatch, The Tampa Tribune and Winston-Salem Journal.

We are seeking a team player who can edit and design quickly and cleanly on deadline. You need to be a strong communicator who can balance overlapping assignments and deadlines, and experience with the CCI system is a plus. Several years of newspaper experience is preferred, but less will be accepted if you have excellent skills.

Apply by April 11, 2011. Go to http://jobs.mediageneral.com and select Job ID# RNI-001163 from the pull-down menu. You will be asked to register (just to select a login and password), and you can attach to your online application a single file that has BOTH your resume, cover letter and work samples. EOE M/F/D/V Drug test and background check required. e-Verify is used upon hire to confirm eligibility for employment in the U.S.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

"Near the beach" is a bit of a misnomer. But whatever.

The CEC was not in place when I was there, but I can tell you the people who work there are good people. I can't/won't say anything about those above them. But really good folks on that editing crew.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

IJAG, it's only 108 miles to Virginia Beach, and a few miles shorter depending upon where you go. Management at the T-D has been questioned but name a place where management hasn't been questioned? Staffers are a good mix of veterans and some not too veteran.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Some a-hole must have taken one of their desk people to create an opening.

5. imjustagirl

Um, other places have nothing to do with this. I said I wouldn't say anything about those higher, because I haven't been there in three years. But keep talking like you know shit.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The bastard.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

WTF? Your quote "I can't/won't say anything about those above them." would lead one to question managment.
    ANYWAY, it's a pretty good job in a pretty good town.

8. imjustagirl

Richmond as a town is fantastic. Couple really cool parts of town, and it's within a day's drive of a ton of stuff. I miss it.

Also, Capital Ale House. :D

http://www.capitalalehouse.com/libations/lager.php

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

And a sailor or club sandwich at Phil's Continental Lounge. Yum.

I think I know some people who hopefully still have jobs there after long careers with the T-D.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Phil's is a nice place, but they make an awful Irish coffee.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I got a fingernail in a club sandwich at Phil's once. Haven't been back since.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Better than a toenail?

Draft saved Draft deleted