1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor/Reporter, Nampa, Idaho

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mark2010, Jul 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Company: Idaho Press-Tribune
    Position: Copy editor/ sports reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: August 31, 2009
    Job ID: 1079337

Description:
    The Idaho Press-Tribune seeks a copy editor/sports reporter (could turn into assistant sports editor position) to fill out its six-person sports department. The Press-Tribune is a growing daily newspaper, just 20 miles west of Boise, the home of four minor-league pro teams, Boise State University, two small colleges, 24 high schools and Idaho’s great outdoors. Candidates must be able to juggle a variety of tasks as well as design high-quality sports pages using InDesign as well as be able to write the occasional gamer or feature as needed. We are an award-winning daily newspaper in one of the Northwest’s fastest-growing areas. A journalism degree (or equivalent experience) and design skills are a must. Life in the Treasure Valley is nearing 600,000 people offers a wide range of activities, including: Multiple ski resorts within short driving range, hunting and fishing, a vibrant nightlife, some of the best hiking, mountain biking, rafting and camping destinations in the country and numerous top-notch golf courses.

Please send e-mail cover letter and three best design samples to pdailey@idahopress.com.

Web sites: idahopress.com; boisestatefans.com; treasurevalleysports.com

2. Twinkilling

Twinkilling Guest

This sounds like a decent opportunity. Couldn't find a circulation (I'm guessing 25,000ish). Any tips or details?

3. thebigd

thebigd Member

The editor is a great guy to work for. The only thing I know is that they had 2 desk openings that they filled about 8-9 months ago if I'm not mistaken. Don't know if this is one of these guys htat left or somebody else

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

5. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

Obviously, it's a Boise suburb. It's owned by the same company that owns the paper in Pocatello, so I don't know whether they'll be super-cheap or not. Like the ad said, Boise is a fantastic place to work and live, and the chance to cover a BCS-busting team doesn't come very often. You'll be competing with the Idaho Statesman. IF they let you travel, there aren't too many great places in the WAC, but who cares? Fresno's okay, a trip to Honolulu would be great, Reno's all right and Logan, Utah's a nice little town. I wouldn't be looking forward to trips to Ruston, Louisiana or Las Cruces, NM though...

6. RFB-Boy

RFB-Boy Member

"A trip to Honolulu would be great..."

Hope springs eternal. I could be horribly mistaken, but I don't think Nampa travels for BSU games. They do, however, do a great job with prep sports in the area, probably as good or better than anyone in the state. The paper has had its financial problems (like everyone else) but is currently printing the Idaho Statesman. Aside from some delivery time issues and what must be the world's most stressed-out pre-press and pressmen, I'd assume there are some benefits to that.

Some good people have come and gone through here to bigger and better. Craig Craker comes to mind. Methinks you'll not be attached at the hip to Coach Petersen at Boise State, but you will have a chance to do some good community journalism in an area that produces some of the state's best athletes.

7. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

I guess sarcasm doesn't get through on the internet. I was surprised that its sister paper in Pocatello travels to all ISU football and basketball games. I'm sure you MIGHT get to go to Reno or Logan, but that's it. And you're right: treasure valley has some very good Idaho HS teams. It seems to me it's always Boise schools and Pocatello powerhouse Highland...

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Phil Daley is a good guy. came close to taking a job there last year.

They are in the shadow of the Idaho Statesman, but do a good job on BSU and the minor league teams.

But please don't be mistaken into thinking this position is a BSU beat writer. That slot is already well filled. This would be a lot of copy desk work and some minor league/prep/enterprise writing.

9. Runnin Rebel

Runnin Rebel Member

Anyone hear anything on this?

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Interviews this week for finalists.

11. kingkroz1017

kingkroz1017 New Member

Does that mean a finalist would've heard they were a finalist by now?

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I would say you're hired, but it looks like you're not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.