1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy Editor/Reporter, Eugene, Ore.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by lisahanson, Jul 18, 2013.

1. lisahanson

lisahanson New Member

The Register-Guard, a morning daily in Eugene, Ore., is seeking to hire a full-time sports copy editor/reporter to work desk shifts as a copy editor and cover local sports -- with an emphasis on high school sports. Our new staff member will be knowledgeable about local athletics and issues, be extremely efficient, aggressive and capable of handling a variety of assignments, both short and long range and on top of statistical, organizational and planned duties, all at the same time. He/she must be organized, capable of working well with fellow reporters, copy editors and photographers, plus relate well to administrators, coaches, athletes and the public. Applicants must be open to a variety of assignments in addition to generating ideas of their own. He/she also must combine a lively personality with technical ability to engage readers on a blog through a number of tools -- including but not limited to writing, comment moderation, photography, video creation and online chatting.

Applicants must have a minimum of a four-year college degree with no more than 3 years of daily reporting and/or copy editing experience. Successful candidate will demonstrate strong word editing, page design and social media skills. The Register-Guard uses a state-of-the-art pagination system and candidate must demonstrate adequate computer literacy. Applicants must also have possession of a reliable insured motor vehicle, a valid Oregon driver's license and a good driving record.

Schedule will vary according to workload; night and weekend work required. Reporting and editing shifts will vary from week to week. Salary will be commensurate with experience.

Copy Editor $18.19 - $28.23 per hour
    Reporter $17.67 - $27.71 per hour

Qualified applicants should submit an application, cover letter, resume and non-returnable clips by Wednesday, July 31 2013, to rgjob.applications@registerguard.com or mail to:

SPORTS COPY EDITOR/REPORTER
    Human Resources Department
    The Register-Guard
    3500 Chad Drive
    Eugene, OR 97408

Applications and complete job descriptions are available on our Web site at www.registerguard.com.

No telephone inquiries, please.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

No more than three years of experience?

3. Zads07

Zads07 Member

I'm gonna guess they are looking for someone with entry-level experience by that, unless it's a typo.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I was taken aback, I suppose, by a paper of the RG's quality capping the amount of experience applicants are allowed to have. Guess I forgot in which era I'm living.

5. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

That is a trend at many newspapers these days with a union scale. Only so much money in the budget. If you're too experienced, sorry.

6. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

So how do they know that someone with more than three years of experience won't settle for less money?

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I call bull on that. Of course, I don't know Oregon cost of living, but I have way more than three years experience and I'd settle for something in that scale. Top end is $56K per year.

8. Right, but I think the earlier poster is saying that the paper *must* pay you wherever you would slot into the union scale. Thus, if you have 10 years of experience, you would be slotted at the high end of the scale -- $57,000 or so. If you have under 3 years of experience, you would be slotted at the low end -- $36,000 or so.

Thus, their goal is to hire someone that would be eligible to be slotted into the scale's low end.

You can't come in with 10 years experience and say 'It's OK, I don't mind being paid only $40,000.' It usually doesn't work that way at a union shop unless they're able to fudge the numbers somehow.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Yeah, I figured that had to be a reason. And they probably have to word it carefully. Still, good job and decent salary for who wants it. Not sure of Oregon's cost of living on 37K a year.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Does the dual range mean that you'd be paid a different rate depending on whether you pulled a shift as a reporter or a copy editor? Or would you just end up with something that would fit in the range for both?

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Interviews appear to have wrapped up today, and a decision is expected no later than Monday, I'm told. Unless I've been misinformed, two of the three finalists will get hybrid jobs matching this ad's job description.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Lots of recent (and impending) turnover at the Guard, which for years had the best staff in the state. After so many years of little turnover, the sports section will look way different in the upcoming months.

Draft saved Draft deleted