1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

copy editor/reporter at Marietta (Ga.) Daily Journal and Neighbor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jeremy Goodwin, Sep 4, 2007.

1. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Who needs a shrink when Doc's stays open til 4?

2. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

It's a good question, boots. One that's tough to answer, but it clearly starts with Brumby and the atmosphere he harbors. There's a lot to it, and I don't want to get into too many specifics on a public message board. No telling what directions my rant would lead.

Can anything be done about it? New management, perhaps. A complete change in Brumby's approach to the newspaper business, but that's about as likely as him leaving me a few million in his will. It's all about the culture of the newsroom, and that tone is set from the desk of one Otis Brumby. Everything that happens below him is only a symptom, not the disease.

3. boots

boots New Member

Can he be reasoned with?

4. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

That would be a no.
    He cannot be stopped. He cannot be reasoned with.
    Yes, he is the Terminator of the newspaper world. His direct underlings, some of them at least, also are a fairly loathsome bunch. Bill Kinney is a wonderful gentleman and the ad director was a good guy. That's about it.

5. boots

boots New Member

Damn.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

What does Jeff Goldblum say in Jurassic Park? Something like "Run... as fast as you can".

Uhhh... what he said.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Goldblum says in JP2: Oh, yeah. That's how it always starts. They're nice and cuddly and cute. Then later on there's running and screaming. (Or something like that). By nearly all accounts, that's the way it works at the MDJ ...

Or, "I'll be back in five or six days."
    "No, you'll be back in five or six pieces."

8. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

bigbadeagle is right. You'd have better luck trying to reason with a crocodile who has ahold of your leg. And what's more? Not only does he not mind that that's the case; I think he takes pride in it.

9. boots

boots New Member

damn.

10. Brookerton

Brookerton Member

It's one of their writers that has been there awhile. I think me have done some desk work as well.

11. Word on the street is that their ASE, who, as Brookerton pointed out, has been there awhile (at least 5 years, and about as many SEs) is the one leaving.

12. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted