1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

copy editor/reporter at Marietta (Ga.) Daily Journal and Neighbor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jeremy Goodwin, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Company: Marietta Daily Journal and Neighbor
    Newspapers
    Position:
    Sports Copy Editor/Reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    October 9, 2007
    Job ID: 743646

Description:
    The Marietta Daily Journal is seeking a full-time sports copy editor/reporter for a Atlanta metro-suburban daily paper. The job revolves around coverage of 20 area high schools, Kennesaw State University and an active recreational sports scene.

Candidates must be able to cover a game and write player features, and be someone who can find the interesting sidebars and enterprising stories our readers expect.

The right candidate must be able to take those stories, with the use of our award winning photo department, and design eye-catching pages that draw the reader’s attention.

Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field, at least one-year experience as a sports writer/sports copy editor. Internships and work on college newspapers will be considered. Other duties will include writing on tight deadline, proficient in spelling, grammar, punctuation and an overall attention to detail. Must be knowledgeable in Quark Xpress, Adobe Photoshop and Microsoft Word.

Applicants must have a valid drivers license and good driving record.

This position comes with a competitive salary and benefits package.

Qualified candidates should send a brief cover letter, resume, five each writing and design samples and references to:

Resumes may be submitted via email at resumes@mdjonline.com or mail to: Human Resources Marietta Daily Journal P.O. Box 449 Marietta, Ga. 30061 RE: SPORTS POSITION

No phone calls please.

From Jjobs: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=743646

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Stay away. Stay far away.

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Doc, any specifics on why people should stay away?

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Do a search for Marietta. It starts with Otis Brumby and the shit rolls downhill from there. This board has a few Marietta alums who can give you specifics.

EDIT: For starters, read this.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Wow, people have thought he's a sonofabitch for 30-plus years. Guess age hasn't mellowed him.

6. Jeremy Goodwin

Thanks, Doc. I read some of the old threads and skimmed the article. I think I'll pretend I never saw this job posting.

7. healingman

healingman Guest

Otis Brumby, meet Dean Singleton.
    Dean Singleton, meet Otis Brumby.
    Brumby, Singleton. Singleton, Brumby.

8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

DO NOT EVEN INTERVIEW HERE. LIFE IS TOO SHORT.

9. boots

boots New Member

Which is sad because this place doesn't have to be this way. It's places like this that cause people to leave the business for good.

10. Dicky_Dunn

Dicky_Dunn New Member

Anybody know who got paroled?

11. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Can't say for sure, but I'd guess either erstwhile on-again, off-again sports copy editor Drew is, well, off again, or they moved him to another position.

And I've been here. Please, for the sake of mankind, don't even consider this job. If anyone needs further instruction, feel free to PM me or any number of other MDJ survivors. There are enough of us that we should have a convention each year, presumably at a psychiatrist's office.

12. boots

boots New Member

Shifty, for the sake of those who don't know, why does this place continue to be the hell of journalism? More importantly, can anything be done to change it?

Draft saved Draft deleted