1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor, Pensacola News Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jmb51879, Jan 8, 2010.

1. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Think of it this way: if you're in Pensacola, you're close to the capital of the Redneck Riviera, the legendary Florabama Lounge.

2. DC_Reeves

DC_Reeves Member

I might be biased, but I live here and I think the area is pretty great. No it's not South Beach (the opposite, really), but it isn't dead. Things have improved around here especially in the last 5 years. They are making downtown more of a pedestrian area w/ restaurants, shops, etc. They also have a waterfront minor league ballpark in the plans (that is taking forever to get started) but it actually should soon.
    The community is pretty active with concerts in the park downtown, big holiday events, that sort of stuff.. much more than it was maybe 5-10 years ago.
    The beach is great, but they won't build a condo on your beach towel while you aren't looking. But plenty of cool restaurants/bars out there. I see that as a good thing.

As for 'little to draw your interest,' on the panhandle there's Fort Walton Beach, Perdido Key, Orange Beach, Ala. Destin, Sandestin, Apalachicola, Panama City -- some fun and unique places that are all 45-120 minutes away.
    You're also 100 miles from Biloxi -I've left too much money there - and about three hours from New Orleans.

So I don't think spud's assessment was completely inaccurate, maybe just dated a bit.

3. DC_Reeves

DC_Reeves Member

And I forgot FloraBama - about 35-40 minutes from downtown Pensacola - which should be enough for you to work here for free.

4. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

DC grew up in Pensacola and may be a little biased, but he certainly knows the area and will shoot straight with you. One of many good people there. Pensacola isn't for everybody but, as he says, there are plans for improving it. Especially the downtown area. The renovated old theatre downtown is really quite nice. And if you like fresh seafood, you'll have no trouble finding it.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Dick Schneider I believed worked in Jackson, Tenn. before making the move to Pensacola.

Draft saved Draft deleted