1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor/page designer w/ sports emphasis -- Longview, WA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Ben Zimmerman, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Ben Zimmerman

Ben Zimmerman New Member

The Daily News of Longview, WA, has an opening for a detail-oriented copy editor / page designer who thrives on stellar design, attention-grabbing headlines and strong editing. The successful applicant should be a perfectionist, someone who would be happy to place his or her signature on every page they compose.
    While we expect to fill this position with someone with experience on the copy desk at a daily newspaper, college graduates without such experience but with advanced skills are welcome to apply. Candidates with additional experience maintaining a website will receive strong consideration. While The Daily News uses InDesign; qualified applicants can have experience with other page-making software.
    Successful candidates should be at home with section front design as The Daily News produces at least three local front pages per edition. Experience with sports page copy and design will be helpful. Finalists will be tested on their abilities as copy editors.

Here’s the how to apply part
    To be considered, please first fill out the online application at http://www.lee.net/careers. In addition, please send design and headline samples to News Editor Rieva Lester, c/o The Daily News, P.O. Box 189, Longview, WA 98632 or to rlester@tdn.com. Send samples that show you at your best and most creative.

Sports layout/pagination experience is a major asset, as this position will probably entail significant sports work.

BZ

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Re: Copy editor/page designer w/ sports emphasis

I would actually be very interested in this position, but I'd need to know the pay. Any way you'll be willing to give away a potential range?

3. Ben Zimmerman

Ben Zimmerman New Member

Check your PMs.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Not sure if it's a rule on here or not (it should be), but a job posting should have the location in the title of the thread.

i.e., Copy editor/page designer w/sports emphasis, Longview, WA

5. Ben Zimmerman

Ben Zimmerman New Member

You're right. Thanks to whomever amended the thread title.

6. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Helps me not get my hopes up that a gig will ever open up near Kansas City. :-\

Draft saved Draft deleted