1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor/page designer -- Greenwood, S.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ScottJBryan, Mar 24, 2011.

1. ScottJBryan

ScottJBryan Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1242920

Company: The Index-Journal
    Position: Wanted: Talent and energy
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: April 28, 2011
    Job ID: 1242920

Description:
    The Index-Journal, a 15,000-circulation daily in Greenwood, S.C., is looking for a talented and energetic copy editor/page designer to join its award-winning team.
    The Index-Journal, recently named the top newspaper in its circulation in South Carolina, also won a newspaper-record 14 awards in this year’s South Carolina Press Association contest. But we’re not finished; we want more hardware.
    The person hired will handle a variety of tasks — copy editing, headline writing, page designing and updating our website. We seek somebody who understands local news matters and can convey that through eye-catching and reader-friendly presentation.
    The Index-Journal is a family owned daily newspaper in a beautiful section of South Carolina. Yes, we're a small daily newspaper, but we want to think big. We want to challenge the regular parameters attached to small papers and eschew the new way of thinking — smaller staff, less local copy, lower quality. We firmly believe the best way for a newspaper to succeed in this economic climate is to put out the best product possible. Period.
    We want somebody who puts pride in his/her work and has a passion for journalism. Want to mail it in? Skip this ad. Disenchanted by journalism’s “gloomy outlook”? Apply elsewhere. Want to work with an aggressive, talented and passionate journalism staff – we’re the place for you.
    This is the ideal job for somebody fresh out of college or a talented journalist looking to make the move up from a weekly, but proven veterans looking to relocate to a charming Southern city are welcome to apply, as well.
    Send resumes, clips and references (via regular mail or email) to:
    Scott J. Bryan
    Associate Editor
    P.O. Box 1018
    Greenwood, SC 29648
    SBryan@indexjournal.com.
    No phone calls please.

----
    A few notes:

1.) Within the last year, we created a universal desk. We have three full-time copy editors/page designers. They handle the bulk of the design of news, sports and features. The person leaving -- going to a larger paper to be closer to family -- handled sports mostly, but he was just as adept at handling news and features pages.
    2.) Location: Greenwood is about an hour from Greenville, a little over an hour from Augusta and about an hour and a half from Columbia.
    3.) The town: It's a reasonably-sized Southern town. We've got restaurants, a movie theater, a bowling alley, golf courses and more than enough bars and churches.
    4.) The schedule: Afternoons, nights and weekends, of course.
    5.) Pay: About $23K-$27K. It depends on experience.
    6.) Newspaper stability: Like any newspaper, we’ve had some cost-saving measures. We’ve reduced the size of our paper and folded the features section into the A section. We have not had any furloughs. We received Christmas bonuses in December. We had a Christmas party. Because we’re a family-owned publication, we don’t have the corporate hoops to jump through.
    7.) Newsroom atmosphere: I love working here. I’ve been here almost four years, and I’ve enjoyed every bit of it. We have a talented staff, and we’re going to do big things. It’s a good place to work. Honest.
    8.) Hiring process: We intend to take applications for the next two-three weeks and move quickly in hiring.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me or send me an e-mail at sbryan@indexjournal.com. Please, please, please, no phone calls.

Thanks.

Scott J. Bryan
    Associate Editor
    The (Greenwood, S.C.) Index-Journal

2. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

If you don't know by now that Scott is universally considered to be "good people," as the kids say, then you haven't been paying attention.

3. ScottJBryan

ScottJBryan Member

Heck, I didn't know it was universal. Thanks for the kind words JJHHI!

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, the DESK is universal. Let's not get carried away.
    Ba da boom. I'll be here, well, forever.

But seriously folks, very good people, very good place.

5. mb

mb Active Member

The best damn under-20,000 paper in all of South Carolina. Or, at the very least, the most generally excellent.

Draft saved Draft deleted