1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor opening, Asbury Park Press

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gmen0820, Sep 22, 2008.

1. gmen0820

gmen0820 New Member

The Asbury Park Press in Neptune, N.J., is seeking a full-time copy editor. We are a Gannett newspaper located at the Jersey Shore.

The ideal candidate will be able to work three shifts on the sports desk and two shifts as a reporter covering high school sporting events.

The successful applicant will have at least one year's experience at a daily newspaper, strong
    editing skills, and the ability to write accurate headlines.

To apply send a resume, cover letter, and writing samples to:
    Sports editor Kevin Steimle at ksteimle@app.com.

The Asbury Park Press is an equal opportunity employer.

2. anyone know anything about this place? bueller...

3. Lots of stuff on here:

http://gannettblog.blogspot.com/

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

http://www.shameongannett.com/

5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

You have to apply by the 4th of July ...

6. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

This should give you an idea about the place. It's the thread from when they were searching for a sports editor ...

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/47328/

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Thanks for pointing that out. I'd never seen it.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Doesn't seem to me that they're actually seeking a full-time copy editor. I would think that a full-time copy editor would actually work full-time as a copy editor, rather than this 3-and-2 setup. But what do I know?

9. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Does anyone with connections to Asbury know what kind of time frame they're looking at for this hire?

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Pretty typical setup for this group. Probably will deviate from this at earliest convenience, but if nothing else - positive or otherwise - it will likely bring a candidate that knows and doesn't really mind doing a variety of tasks.

11. gmen0820

gmen0820 New Member

I'm hoping to start interviewing before the end of the month and get someone hired very soon after that.
    I'm the sports editor here and have been working some double shifts and six-day weeks to help get the paper out each night. If it were up to me the position would have been filled months ago. That's the most I can tell you guys. My boss has to sign off on any hire.

Draft saved Draft deleted