1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy Editor - Omaha World-Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by CUinthenewsroom, Jun 20, 2007.

1. From jjobs.com: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=792241

Company: The Omaha World-Herald
    Position:
    Talented sports copy editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    July 25, 2007
    Job ID: 792241

Description:
    The Omaha World-Herald, a 235,000 Sunday circulation regional newspaper, is looking for a talented sports copy editor with design skills to join its award-winning staff. The successful candidate will have previous daily newspaper experience and a passion for high school, college and professional sports. A strong design and content background is preferred, but not necessarily required. Please email a resume, cover letter, and clips to: Jeff Carney, AME/Recruiting at jcarney@owh.com.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

My guy brought a few copies back from the CWS. Pretty nice coverage, but they've had a few years to get it down.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

That's like me saying, "Man, I love Skittles, but they've been making them a long time, so whatever."
    I still eat Skittles.

4. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

I believe this is -- or was -- an employee-owned paper. Not sure exactly what that means, but I imagine that would be a good thing in today's climate.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I thought Warren Buffett owned this paper, but I'm probably wrong.
    Knew a guy who worked there back in the day. Always said it was a good shop with the Huskers dominating the coverage during football season.

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

According to the Knight Report website (which lists the OWH's daily circ at around 192K), the Weird-Herald is still employee-owned.

It's a good shop with good people -- Rob White and Tom Shatel especially. It does have its quirks, but show me a shop that large that doesn't.

7. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

http://www.owh.com/inside-page.php?id=whoweare

In 1963, Peter Kiewit purchased The World-Herald to ensure the paper would continue to be locally owned. In his will, Kiewit provided for the newspaper to be sold to its employees, and it has been employee-owned since 1979. The World-Herald is the largest employee-owned daily newspaper in the United States.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Damn good paper.

9. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

I'm always impressed with this paper. Too bad it's in Omaha. Who the eff wants to live there?

10. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Sometimes its good to get outta the big city and go to the Midwest, eh?

Maybe not, but maybe so. Lotsa things wrong in the Big Cities.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

A reliable source tells me that Warren Buffett actually owns the Buffalo News and not the Omaha paper. It is, as noted repeatedly, employee-owned.
    Still a good shop and from a friend who lives there but doesn't work at the paper, a damn fine place to be.

12. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

The publisher is a hell of a guy. Met him at CWS once. Super nice.

Draft saved Draft deleted