1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor, New Jersey

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JaRoy Hobbs, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sinking Ship

Sinking Ship Member

From the most recent information available on JRC stock (note the total debt!):

Balance Sheet
    Total Cash (mrq): 3.93M
    Total Cash Per Share (mrq): 0.1
    Total Debt (mrq): 733.66M
    Total Debt/Equity (mrq): 3.671
    Current Ratio (mrq): 0.938
    Book Value Per Share (mrq): 5.108

2. What's another 30k for an ASE for folks who've already compiled 733.66m in total debt? In JRC terms, spending 30k for an ASE is actually a cost saving tactic. They'll bring in some cat for 30k and then soon after fire the SE, aka AB the wannabe columnist. They eliminate the SE's paycheck and the ASE does the same work for less money while they pretend to search for a new SE. Almost exact sitch happened to a someone I know and is typical JRC style.

3. JRC bites

JRC bites New Member

If you want this job, you better hurry up and apply! JRC allegedly is working very hard to fill this position ... if it even still exists. Read what JRC director of news Matt DeRienzo had to say about this job in another memo I just posted on my blog. http://jrcbites.blogspot.com/

4. lapdog

lapdog Member

"We are aggressively in the process of interviewing for assistant sports editor. We should have some announcements on that soon, along with more bodies in the room."

One would hope the coroner will arrive soon. ::)

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

This guy's crazy. You want to store up bodies in the fall so you can burn them for heat.

6. Sinking Ship

Sinking Ship Member

The carnage continues. Within the last 2 days: One sports writer/copy editor fired, one suspended 2 days without pay, one issued a warning letter. Sports desk is now down to 5 paginators. Morale is at an all-time low. Two staffers need root canals and the dental benefits only pay up to $500, and root canals/crowns costs twice that amount.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

At least they have dental benefits. Some papers (like mine) doesn't offer a dental plan to its employees.

8. Sinking Ship

Sinking Ship Member

$500 in dental benefits is next to nothing, especially if you have a family.

9. EStreetJoe

But which would you rather have in dental benefits... $500 or $0?
    Thankfully my wife's business has a dental plan that I'm able to get in on. So she's on my medical and I'm on her dental.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

"DENTAL PLAN?"

"Lisa needs braces."

"DENTAL PLAN?"

"Lisa needs braces."

"DENTAL PLAN?"

"Lisa needs braces."

"DENTAL PLAN?"

"Lisa needs braces."

11. EStreetJoe

12. Sinking Ship

Sinking Ship Member

E Street Joe, this dental plan is all I have. I guess I could go out and buy my own policy, but they're expensive. You're lucky to have your wife's plan to fall back on.

What I hate most about the Trentonian is, rather than offer people buyouts when they want to reduce staff, they have their own sick, cruel method: degrade and humiliate the person for a while, then make them feel even more worthless by firing them.

I think you could retain more pride and dignity if you cleaned toilets for a living.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.