1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor, New Jersey

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JaRoy Hobbs, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Thank you Aaron.

2. aeroking

aeroking Member

Seriously, what did you do to make that section better? Unless you deny you're one of those 25 or so listed on this (or possibly the last) thread. Let's hear hard example that made the newspaper better.

And no, I'm not aaron. Screenname is years old, based on being in flight lessons when I registered.

3. aeroking

aeroking Member

BTW, thanks to whoever set me straight earlier. Yes, from afar, it seems that there's a bevy of old-timers on staff. Apparently that's not the case. I've been holding off on posting since I had no interest in pushing this fiasco back to the top of the page.

4. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Since you apparently know so much, I was waiting for you to tell me.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

not only your shop, but your company sucks monkey balls. and your mother sucks cock in hell. feel better now?

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and by the way dipshit, if you're looking for a personal chat room for JRC employees only, go start your own and stay the fuck off this one. until then, your mother still sucks cock in hell.

7. JaRoy Hobbs

JaRoy Hobbs New Member

The mass exodus continues. The news editor is outta here. This person was the "acting" sports editor earlier this year. He had been promised that he would be promoted to sports editor, with a raise, as soon as the paperwork was worked out with corporate. He was eventually sent back to news without the job or the raise.

Quick exodus recap: April 25, one sports copy editor is fired. May 11, one sports copy editor resigns. May 15, one sports copy editor resigns, one news copy editor resigns. May 16, one sports copy editor resigns. May 24, news editor (which at the Trentonian is the lead news copy editor) resigns.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I would be interested in reading about this as well. Just, you know, to educate us.

9. What are we up to? Eight users who do nothing but post on this thread?

Pathetic.

Hey guys, quit yer whining. If you work there, get the hell out (or are you not good enough to get another job?). If you used to work there, get over it.

And don't give that bullshit that you're trying to warn people from going there. Everyone on this site gets it. JRC sucks. OK, now move on.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Wow. Just wow.

Office morale is important but so is production. A TV that is too loud can be distracting. I made some of our PTers turn off 24 one night in the final hour before deadline. So I'm now their favorite asshole and their morale ain't grand. Tough shit. The desk isn't a living room. And if there's too much chatter while people are trying to work it is a problem as well.

Morale is important. An environment where people can work is one, too, and if I walked into a romper room I'd walk out without a lot of friends. Tough tooties. Get the fucking work done and then we'll all have some fun.

On with your interesting show. Tom, cool it.

11. lapdog

lapdog Member

The one thing you should draw from the 50+ pages of this thread and the old Trentonian thread and threads on other JRC papers, is that "office morale" is absolutely the last goddamn thing in the mother fucking world that JRC cares about.

No wait, hold it. Check that. To the contrary -- JRC cares very much about office morale. They want to completely destroy it, to create an atmosphere of constant harassment, unbelievable pressure, arbitrary and completely inequitable treatment, and an overall environment of utter terror for employees.

JRC, that is, Jelenic, has nothing but complete utter contempt for the workforce, seeing them as dime-a-dozen drones who can be replaced at the drop of a hat, as minimum-competence shit-shovelers with not even the slightest smidgen of talent, creativity or value, as bottom-dwelling beasts of burden who only react to constant flogging as motivation.

To JRC, all employees are liabilities, to be driven off their books as quickly as possible. The longer an employee serves, the more he may get the ridiculous notion that his work is acceptable, even valuable, and worst of all, that he may deserve a) more money, or b) more creative input into the product, neither of which they have any intention of ever allowing any employee to have.

Therefore, "office morale" is indeed a very important item to JRC -- they want to create the absolute worst office morale conceivable, to deliver the message to the employees that they (JRC management) would be perfectly happy if the employees either packed up their shit and quit, or else dropped dead, one or the other, they couldn't care less.

Bracy, his 24 predecessors, and the new stooge ASE, whether he's coming from Virginia, North Carolina, or North Korea, are only cogs in that wheel. They'll get theirs soon enough, like other JRC stooges effortlessly decapitated when the the big boys decide to drop the axe.

12. boots

boots New Member

They are managers. Hired to be fired.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.