1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor, New Jersey

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JaRoy Hobbs, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

You passed on the alleged info as being true, not me -- I just questioned its accuracy. You can backpedal all you want, but we can see what kind of human being you are. I'm really not interested in whether he made the mistake or not, I am interested in the solid fact that you piled on someone without determining if it was true. Again, I can't think of anyone but you and the other Aaron-bashers who seem more perfectly matched for a career in JRC: snap judgments, disregard for facts and professional behavior, uninformed opinions, psychotic lashing out, agenda-driven, no common decency. You and your kind embody this company. If you were cast aside, it was merely a matter of the rat eating its young. Same species, same genes.

2. I swear, cat, I really meant it when I said I am so glad you are here. Your blind devotion to AB and Jelloneck is what makes this a great debate. As I have said previously, feel free as a bird to criticize me. I can take it.

You should be ashamed of your poor journalism, Frank. Now we can all see that you didn't bother to check your facts at all. I have never worked for a JRC owned paper. Better brush up on your fact checking skills, Frank.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Well, since we are anonymous here, that could not be checked, obviously. I assumed you had worked for JRC because why else would someone be as fixated as you are on the presumed pratfalls of one sports editor? Clearly someone would have to be completely unbalanced mentally to devote 50 of his 55 posts on a message board to one newspaper if he had no personal experience working on said newspaper. So what is it, some kind of personal grudge against Aaron? Just some kind of repressed rage against the world in general and you perceive this topic as a safe way for you to vent because you don't have the nads to do it in real life? I thought you needed psychological help when I thought you were a former JRC employee. Now that you say you aren't, I am positive you need professional help. And get a new line -- calling people "cat" makes you look like a total douche.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Over-Under on how soon this thread gets locked? :)

5. You mean it's not yet? Oh, well, I'm out.

6. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

Over-under? Fourteen seconds ... and ... GO

7. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

1. We're not really anonymous since I know who most of you are and anyone who knows me surely figured out who I am by now.

2. Frank, you are wrong -- Ear doesn't embody this company. Why he has some obsession with Trentonian threads is unknown, but your defense of these JRC lapdogs is just as bewildering. Aaron Bracy embodies the qualities that Jelenic has always looked for in executive. I'd go as far as saying he outshines DeRienzo in this area and will one day replace him in the JRC hierarchy.

8. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

BTW --

A candidate called AB about this opening recently. He told Bracy he would have to fly in to interview, so he asked what the salary range would be. Bracy wouldn't tell him, simply saying, "It's enough." Needless to say, the guy didn't take it.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'll bet. :D ::) ::)

10. boots

boots New Member

I think the second guy in charge would have a lot of imput into what the section is doing. It's apparent that Aaron likes to write but he's no Phil Anastassia.

11. I am disappointed the last thread was blocked because there was still valuable information there. Anyone considering applying for this position should be careful. In the last few months this newspaper has offered a job to an outside candidate and then just hours before he was scheduled to start they called and took their job offer back. Also two current news section employees were given promotions and promised a pay increase. They never received any pay increase and were demoted back to their previous job titles. The most recent assistant sports section editor was forced to work almost one and a half years with no sports editor. He was forced to serve as the acting sports editor for one and a half years while the newspaper claimed it was searching for a new sports section editor. He did not receive any pay increase or bonus for taking on the unofficial role of sports editor for that long period of time. This could happen to you if you decide to take this position.

12. lapdog

lapdog Member

It also means his neck will be about second on the chopping block on the fine morning, oh, about 8 days after his arrival, when the great Mr. Jelenic wakes up and throws a hysterical conniption fit because some junior-high school kickball box score doesn't add up right.

They'll be looking for someone to blame, and who looks better in such a situation than the new guy fresh off the turnip truck? Remember, new employees are "probationary" for 90 days (or is it 180, or maybe 360 now?), meaning they can fire you for any old reason they want.

As if JRC ever needs a reason anyway. They fire anybody they want, anytime they want.

As far as the desire to "have a lot of input into what the section is doing," that sounds nice, and it assumes the new employee is ambitious, wants to improve professionally, wants to improve the performance of his newspaper, isn't afraid to take a risk once in a while to produce a better product.

Lots of people start out that way at JRC, but that starry-eyed optimism is quickly beaten out of them by a constant fusillade of ultimatums, illogical and contradictory edicts from management, monotonously repetitive threats of capricious and arbitrary termination, infantile power plays, brutal bullying and workload heaping, forcing people to work off the clock, continuous ego-stroking of the higher-ups, utterly unending harassment over miniscule microscopic errors and gotcha-style second-guessing, so that nobody has any ambition whatsoever to actually do a better job -- everyone simply cowers under their desks hoping to do a barely-good-enough job to make it through another week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.