1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor, New Jersey

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JaRoy Hobbs, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JaRoy Hobbs

JaRoy Hobbs New Member

Company: The Trentonian
    Position: Assistant Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: April 20, 2007
    Job ID: 751957

Description:
    Are you a desk editor who revels in catching mistakes? Do you want to make your mark and have input into the redesign of a section and Web site? Are you ready to take the next step in your career?

Well, the The Trentonian has the perfect opportunity for you.

The Trentonian is looking for an assistant sports editor who will oversee the copy desk and provide input into directing daily coverage. This person should be a desk wizard who is hard working, enthusiastic and dedicated to putting out a great product every night.

The candidate should have three years of desk and pagination experience. Nights and weekends are required. Serious candidates only.

Please send your resume and editing/layout examples to:

Aaron Bracy Sports Editor The Trentonian 600 Perry Street Trenton, NJ 08618

Or e-mail to: abracy@trentonian.com

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=751957

2. lapdog

lapdog Member

Needless to say:

1) Whoever takes this job has a job expectancy of about 6 weeks if he does a good job (4 weeks if he doesn't);

2) Only an absolute moron would take this job, or any other job with any other Journal Register paper, a company which is hemorrhaging money, and slashing jobs by the score nationwide.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Um, good to know the job of ASE is now slugged as a copy editor in the thread title.

4. Sinking Ship

Sinking Ship Member

In other words, the current sports staff stinks, so they want someone to come in and do mop-up. And the line about having "input in the redesign of a section and web site" is a joke. There have been many, many previous ASEs and SEs who thought they would have this type of input, but the first mistake in 6-point agate in a Little League box score relegated them to the duties of the average copy editor, with the added pleasure of hearing Murray and Jelenic scream obscenities on the phone at 8 a.m.

If you are searching for a job, please steer clear of all JRC properties. In my opinion, cleaning toilets for minimum wage would be a far better position to take than working for this cold-blooded company that views its employees as liabilities, not assets.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I was thinking the same thing, IJAG.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

This is The Trentonian, people.
    There is a humongous thread about the evils that will go with this job.

7. Clever cat, JH! Clever. Thought they killed it. ...

Warning about this jobbie job. The SE is really a wannabe columnist. He's just impersonating an SE. Meaning, the ASE will do all the real work while the SE writes columns with the wrong spelling of his name.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

If it's a column, it wouldn't have a byline, it would have a column sig, thus someone likely had to put the byline on it for the Web, probably not the author if it works anything like most other newspapers.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

At my paper the byline goes on the story by the author so its on there in the system for the web and then gets cut off the story by the paginator for publication.

10. If you happen to be right Frank, then I will retract the wrong-spelling-of-his-own-name portion of my post. The rest remains true.

Course, I don't think you can find an excuse for the cat writing the wrong name of the Trenton girls' basketball coach in another one of his articles.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

So what you're saying is, you accused him of making a mistake without even considering the possibility that it wasn't his. You didn't bother to ask, you just wanted to smear someone in front of his peers. Some responsible journalist you are. Even if you now can find someone who says it was his mistake, we still see quite clearly that you did zero checking before making the initial accusation here. As we are almost all journalists here, we can see what kind of standards of accuracy you have, what kind of sense of fairness you have, what kind of professionalism you have -- and that is none at all.

This is not an insult I'd use lightly, but it would appear that if anyone truly deserved to be a JRC victim, it would be you.

12. Hahaha. Frank, I am so glad you are here. This would be a boring topic without you. You got me, cat. I admit, I didn't call AB and ask him if he spelled his own name wrong. I didn't call Trentonian editors to find out if AB spelled his own name wrong. Like everyone else, I was discussing what was posted on his newspaper online. Then again, this is a forum, not an investigative report appearing in a publication. Did you call AB to find out if he made the mistake? If not, when you said his column would have a column sig and not a byline is bad reporting on your part, Frank. Naughty, Frank. You should spend hours investigating everything you are going type on a forum.

If you go back and read the other thread, you'll even witness that I am not the one who first pointed out the mistake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.