1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor, Midland (TX.) Reporter-Telegram

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Angola!, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Company: Midland Reporter-Telegram
    Position: Talented sports page designer wanted
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: September 7, 2006
    Job ID: 666954

Description:
    The Midland (Texas) Reporter-Telegram, a Hearst Corporation Newspaper (20,000 daily, 25,000 Sunday) in West Texas, is seeking a designer/sports reporter for our award- winning sports section.
    We are looking for someone with fresh ideas as a designer and someone who is willing to take chances in making sure the paper’s visual appearance stays consistent and vibrant. This position will be responsible for the daily layout of the sports section and also our special sections. There is also some writing with this position.

Candidates should have a strong knowledge of AP Style, and experience with Quark Xpress, Adobe Photoshop and Freehand is preferred.

Recent college graduates will be considered. The last three people who have had this position have gone on to larger newspapers.

Our focus is on high school sports but the Permian Basin’s sports scene is complemented by a Double-A baseball team, minor league hockey, indoor football, a Nationwide Tour golf event and a very active local golf scene. We also provide limited coverage of Texas Tech University sports, specifically its Division I football program.

Please send resume, clips and layouts to:

Len Hayward, Sports Editor P.O. Box 1650 Midland, TX 79701

For more information:

Len Hayward, Sports Editor (432) 687-8846 hayward@mrt.com

Stewart Doreen, Managing Editor (432) 687-8856 stew@mrt.com

2. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

I've done some stringing for these people and have crossed paths with them at various events. It's a decent paper and I know Len's good people.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what about stewy?

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I've heard he use to party hard, but has since dried up.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'd go just to be able to cover Midland Lee v. Permian, even if Permian has slipped over the years.

6. healingman

healingman Guest

FWIW, the SE is a really nice guy and the opportunity is there for a man/woman who may be looking to move on up the chain from 1-2 years experience in the business into the next level.

Draft saved Draft deleted