1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor, Lynchburg, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Jun 21, 2006.

1. boots

boots New Member

The News and Advance, a 40,000-circulation daily in Central Virginia, is anticipating an opening for a sports copy editor. Knowledge of Quark Xpress essential, experience at a smaller paper a plus. You'll design section fronts two nights a week and work inside pages the other three. A good opportunity for someone interested in design and copy editing who is interested in getting to the big leagues. We're a Media General community newspaper and have a reputation for providing journalists the experience needed to move to a major daily. Lynchburg has a Class A professional baseball team, Division I basketball and football, and several other colleges with athletic programs. We also cover 20 high schools as well as the University of Virginia and Virginia Tech athletics. Send a cover letter, resume and work samples to Steve Trosky, Sports Editor, The News and Advance, Box 10129, Lynchburg, Va. 24506, or email strosky@newsadvance.com

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Anybody who wants to PM me with questions, feel free.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Anticipating an opening?

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Definitely an opening

5. Keystone

Keystone Member

"And if you're really good, you could work for the Lynchburg paper someday." ;D
    Boy, I remember being told that about a zillion times during my Media General days.

But in all seriousness, does MG still try to steer the folks from the smaller papers to the News & Advance? It's a decent product with good people, but it's not really a destination paper.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I don't know if people get steered there specifically, but I do know from my Danville days that a lot of people from that paper make the hour-long drive north on U.S. 29 to work there (fools could save a half-hour or so by driving to Tahoe, then Lynchburg, but people never listen). I believe Lynchburg is still thought of as the crown jewel of the community papers at MG, though the average daily circulation there has dipped below 37,000, which means Bristol is bigger (don't know if Bristol has been bigger for a while, or if that's a recent development).

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Keystone's right. Not a destination paper. But you can get places from there. Really.

A bright college grad who knows his/her way around Quark can do worse. The deskers don't have to write and the writers don't have to desk, so there's a chance to work on design skills and get better, and the paper's design editor is pretty damn good.

8. Steve Trosky

Steve Trosky New Member

Sorry I didn't get a chance to post this opening here first. I found out one of our designers was making a nice leap to Roanoke while I was in Las Vegas. This is a good position for designers at smaller newspapers looking to make a jump or the right recent college graduate who has excellent design skills. I'm looking for someone who isn't afraid to take chances with their designs, has a great work ethic and is a very good copy editor. I'm going to stop taking resumes on July 5. We're going to move quickly, so if you're interested, please send your resume, cover letter and design samples to strosky@newsadvance.com. Thank you for your time.

Draft saved Draft deleted