1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor -- Lima (Ohio) News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Aug 10, 2013.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

The Lima News is seeking a Sports Copy Editor to work with its award-winning staff. Sports is huge in our community and we need someone who is enthused about a job well done. Job responsibilities include slotting stories in the daily sports section, editing copy, writing headlines, writing roundups and overseeing sports Web site as well as phone crew. A commitment to fairness and accuracy is essential. Our newsroom works hard, but has fun. Experience is preferred, but we will consider recent college graduates who have had an internship or worked on their student newspaper.

We offer a great facility, a great staff and a competitive salary and benefits package We are a mid-size newspaper (28,000-d, 33,000-s) with an excellent reputation for solid journalism, winning AP General Excellence awards 10 out of the last 12 years.

Send resume and cover letter to:

Jim Krumel

Editor

The Lima News

3515 Elida Road

Lima, Ohio 45807

jkrumel@limanews.com

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1519363

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Just drove through Lima today, what a dump. I'm glad I don't live there.
    My buddy wishes he didn't.
    Can't say much about the paper, but it seems like a sad, sad town.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

That should get the resumes pouring in.

4. spikechiquet

Sorry, I'm not being paid to do PR for the job. :D

5. I hear there is a heck of a Glee club at the local high school.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, thank you for the honest assessment.

7. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

FWIW, it's a former Freedom shop. Haven't seen the paper in 7-8 years, but it was a good product for its market back in the day. Did a really good job on preps (in a market where preps has heavy interest) and had somebody commuting to cover Ohio State. But spike's right about the quality of life issues. It just seems to be a run-down community where little seems to change.

8. spikechiquet

Quick research on the company that now owns them (Civitas) shows they just closed 8 weeklies and word is they are moving a lot of production to hubs.
    http://civitasmedia.com/article/20130807/NEWS/130809999

9. Justin Biebler

Justin Biebler Active Member

Yep the Lima News will be outsourcing its page design to hubs soon. It used to be designed in-house. From what I know...Sports Ed left recently and note this ad is calling the position a copy editor (note probably less pay than an SE). Two full-timers, one who covers OSU on Saturdays in the fall. They do use a number of stringers. Used to be a full-time staff of 3 not including the SE a few years back.
    Typical small rust-belt town. I'd be shocked if that circ figure is accurate.

Draft saved Draft deleted