1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor, Greensboro (N.C.) News & Record

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ondeadline, Nov 12, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Active Member

I wonder what the situation here is after the layoffs earlier this year when it seemed to be the last hired was the first to be laid off. That would tend to make anybody hesitate to apply here.

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I suspect Mr. Newsom will be along to provide some insight.
  3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Ondeadline, you hit the proverbial nail on the head. Greensboro isn't far from me but I'd rather be the SE of a smaller daily (which I am) than risk being laid off. Not saying that's the way everybody should see but it's how I see it.
  4. John Newsom

John Newsom Member

A couple of direct links for you:

Triad Career Cast, which will redirect you to the Landmark jobs site. Or you can wade through from the link in the first post. (No, I don't know why we made things so complicated.)

As for layoffs, I doubt the N&R is the only company that has used the last-hired/first-fired rule. I don't know if that's what they'll do next time. I don't know if there will be a next time - I'm hoping not, and nothing appears imminent (i.e. tomorrow).

If your top career goal right now is not to get laid off, don't leave your current job. I don't blame you. Seniority (and familiarity) has its benefits. And I like getting a check every two weeks. But if you want to work for an APSE top-20 paper that also holds its own in the N.C. Press awards *and* is a pretty darn good place to work, please apply.

Questions? Fire away.

P.S. Because we've changed our hiring policies, I'm not going to return PMs or e-mails (I can't - long story) but will instead answer questions in this thread. I'll keep your name and specific circumstances out of it.
  5. melock

melock Active Member

What would the pay be or at least in what neighborhood would it be in?
  6. ondeadline

ondeadline Active Member

No, the N&R probably isn't the first to use the last hired/first laid-off model and certainly isn't the first to lay off people. John, I know you had no control over the layoffs and the following has nothing to do with you or your staff.

But I have to wonder about upper-management at a newspaper that would allow somebody to be hired when they had to know that layoffs were coming the NEXT week. That was the case with the N&R layoffs earlier this year where a person was laid off days after starting.

Laying off somebody days after they start is no way to treat people.
  7. Tarheel316

John, I'm not trying to steer anyone from the N&R. You guys do a great job over there. Being on that staff would be a plus to anyone's career. If this was 20 years ago I would have jumped at it. But security is more important to me now. Is what ondeadline saying true about someone being laid off days after hire? That would be awful.
  8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The person actually was sliced loose on Day 1.
  9. melock

melock Active Member

Now that's quality right there.
  10. Tarheel316

Wicked, are you serious? Day 1?? That is disgusting. I don't see how any new hire could possibly be secure working there.
  11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

IIRC, she was in training when they told her she was being let go. The person she replaced took the job she left at another paper, too. Weirdness all around.
  12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I remember that vividly from the news accounts at the time. If those reports were wrong, maybe someone can correct me.
Draft saved Draft deleted