1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor/golf writer, San Bernardino Sun/Inland Valley Daily Bulletin

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by buckweaver, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gold

Gold Active Member

I know Singleton moved this to a universal desk which covered a bunch of people. There were people who were moved to the San Gabriel paper. Does that mean that experiment is mercifully over?

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yes, it's over.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

god i love LA.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Do you know how many inquiries have been made?

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

For the record, I'm not one of them. I'm just curious to see what kind of numbers you guys would get. Best of luck in the process, sir.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i am. i applied just so i could saddle up next to a man known to his coworkers as The Buckster.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Any news on this one, chief?

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm imagining a typical interview conducted by Buck:

Buck: Hey, Skip, nice to meet you.
    Skip: You, too, sir. Thanks for having me.
    Buck: What interested you in this position?
    Skip: Oh, well, a lot of things, really. First off, it's SoCal. ... I've been reporting on the PGA Tour for nine years and have been paginating for six. I've got multiple ASPE awards for each. I've selected a dozen clips of each, and you can keep these. I hope they're to your liking.
    Buck: Wow, that's pretty decent. Thanks. I've got a lot of things to do, so we'll make this pretty quick.
    Skip: Oh, OK. Sure.
    Buck: Here's an editing test, a general sports knowledge test, and please write me a 650-word essay on what makes Chipper Jones the best player in baseball history. Once you're done with that, we'll see how you do on our pagination test.
    Skip: Um, OK? But, Buck, Chipper Jones? I don't think he's even in the top 10 third baseman in the last 20 years.
    Buck: And we're done here. Thanks for coming. We'll be in touch.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Final update for those interested. Job's been filled -- first time those words have been uttered in a while!

We welcome Lindsay Czarnecki -- formerly a sports editor in Minnesota and currently writing for our sister paper in Woodland Hills, Calif. -- to our staff. She begins in a couple weeks, and will be a nice addition to the desk.

Thanks to all those who applied, by way of SJ and otherwise.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Congrats, Lindsay!

(Still sad I didn't get the chance to interview with Buck, though.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.