1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy Editor: Findlay, OH

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mooninite, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Mooninite

Mooninite Member

We have an opening at our paper, although it's not in sports. Thought maybe someone in the area who's looking might be interested.
    Cost of living is very low. We haven't had any layoffs (just two furlough days per quarter which isn't bad). Great local ownership. Any additional info you can PM me.

Company: The Courier
    Job Status: Not Specified
    Salary: $25,000 to $30,000
    Ad Expires: September 28, 2009
    Job ID: 1089579

Bright, creative, entry-level copy editor wanted for excellent family-owned 22K daily in Findlay, Ohio. You will handle local copy and state wire, and paginate inside pages, including obit page. You will also fill-in as needed, help with new sections and handle some special sections. Online experience a big plus. Hours 4 p.m.-midnight at $25K. Sorry, we can’t negotiate in these times, but we’ll teach you more than your weekly, smaller daily, or college internship. Friendly, welcoming staff. Terrific, prosperous mini-city with university between Toledo and Columbus. Ohio and adjoining states preferred for possible interview. Deadline is Sept. 4. Please send letter, resume and clips by U.S. Mail only to Peter Mattiace, The Courier, P.O. Box 609, Findlay, OH 45839. No calls, e-mails. Thank you.
  2. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

The Courier is a good paper and Findlay is a nice city.
  3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Good college b-ball team in Findlay. Knocked our local boys out of the NCAA tournament.
  4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

NCAA Division II. In a league with Grand Valley State.
  5. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

$25,000 is an excellent starting salary for a newspaper in Ohio. If you want to know how low salaries start at other papers in Ohio, check on the thread on Ashland.

You can live with no trouble on a $25,000 salary as a single person. My wife and I got by with only slightly more in a town not far away with her being unemployed for almost a year. Cost of living is very low, and like I said, Findlay is a very nice mid-sized town.

I realize this isn't sports, but The Courier does an excellent job with their section. From what I've seen, the news coverage is solid also. All of the writers I know from there have worked their for years with no interest in going anywhere else because they enjoy it there. That doesn't happen much at most newspapers anymore.
  6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Findlay, my hometown!

You can make it on 25K a year cuz there's nothing to do there. :)
  7. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

I guess that depends what you're looking to do. Findlay has everything any mid-sized city would have. There is a mall that actually is full and there are plenty of shopping plazas. New restaurants and stores seem to be going in all the time. Crime is minimal. I think Findlay has to be well compared to most cities in Ohio. It's not a bad place at all.

Toledo is 45 minutes or less up the road and offers a bit more (minor league sports, a nice zoo, some big concerts, etc.).
  8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

They can't negotiate, but why put a $5k range for salary?
  9. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

They only get to select from a few choices as in: less than $20K, $20K-$25K, $25K-$30K, $30K-$35K, etc. They cannot list the exact salary in that part.
Draft saved Draft deleted