1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor/designer, Tulsa World

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JRoyal, May 9, 2008.

1. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

We're looking for someone to join our desk staff. Here's the ad:

The Tulsa World’s Sports department seeks a full-time member of its copy desk. The position includes copy editing and page design on a staff that’s been honored with multiple awards for its design work. The successful applicant will be able to provide examples of page design that show creativity and news judgment. The successful applicant also will be able to demonstrate the ability to improve stories - in accuracy, content and organization - in the editing process. Applicants should have high-level computer skills on word-processing and page design software, particularly InDesign and InCopy. This is a 40-hour per week position that requires work on nights and weekends. If interested contact:

Tulsa World
    Attn.: Human Resources
    PO Box 1770
    Tulsa OK 74102
    Fax: (918)584-8966
    Email: hr@tulsaworld.com

Still family-owned, so none of the chain headaches. Our sports editor, Mike Strain, is good people, and the section has vastly improved since he got here (which was just before I joined the staff), and we still have high expectations for where we want to go. If you have any questions about the paper or Tulsa or Oklahoma in general, shoot them my way. I'll be happy to offer any information I can. Just send me a private message on here or e-mail me at james.royal@tulsaworld.com.

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Blatant self-promotional bump.

3. Slash

Slash Member

Who left? Where’d they go.

4. I don't work at the World, but I know a lot of people who do. I can be an unbiased source if anyone wants an alternate take on the position.
    I'll say here publicly, I think it's a great paper and they seem to be good people, but shoot me a PM if I can offer any more insight.

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Jeff Huston, one of our desk guys who had been here a while, left the newspaper business to pursue another field.

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Another Christian Democrat? You know, there are some folks that don't think we exist.

7. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

The Tulsa World sports editor Mike Strain is good people. He's a hard working, nice guy. A person anyone would want to work for. And yes, Mike Strain did pay me $40 to say that. Just kidding.

8. Unfortunately, we have only ourselves to blame for that, I think.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Take it to another thread.

10. 1) It's two posts.
    2) JRoyal started this thread, so deal with it.

11. I don't know anybody on the sports department, but I know Phil Lamb on the news side. Very quality person, and I would work with him any day.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

He didn't start the thread to hear more proselytizing by you. That's the last I have to say about the subject. Carry on with the intended direction of the thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted